Inception Soundtrack: 12 Time
Jan 9, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #32 of 79

Quote:
I've been listening to the inception soundtrack with my ath-m50 and I really like it. But I'm just curious, since my headphone is in the entry level...Would you guys say that I'm missing something (a lot?) from the soundtrack? 

I feel Zimmer music is speaker music,

but, beautiful music is good anyway..
beyersmile.png

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #35 of 79
Hey, do you guys hear a staccato brass playing in the background during the peak of the crescendo? I just started hearing it upon repeated playing, and I hope I'm not going crazy. The sound is very, very light, a trumpet (I'm guessing) played in short bursts. Prominent during the last couple bars of the loudest part of the music (about 3:00 to 3:30 before the music quickly goes relatively quiet).

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #37 of 79
Love the soundtrack. I wish you guys could hear it with the full dynamic range intact. It's impressive.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #38 of 79
I agree that "time" is epic. I also stumbled upon a variation of the song. A band called "Shiny Toy Guns" made a video using the song showing that their lead singer Carah Faye Charnow is back with the band. Search "shiny toy guns together again" on youtube or go to shinytoyguns.com. Its awesome !

Feb 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #39 of 79
Quote:
Love the soundtrack. I wish you guys could hear it with the full dynamic range intact. It's impressive.

Why wouldn't we be able to hear it with its dynamic range intact? Do you have access to another version than what is commercially sold?

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #40 of 79

Quote:
Why wouldn't we be able to hear it with its dynamic range intact? Do you have access to another version than what is commercially sold?

The retail version is compressed and has different EQ. I have heard the uncompressed version.

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #41 of 79
I am thinking of getting the clear vinyl of the Inception soundtrack. It looks really cool, and is 180 grams to boot; surely it sounds fantastic!
beerchug.gif
 Ever since my uncle got me a decent turntable, (a JVC FX-300 if that means anything to somebody) I have really been enjoying music through it and a vintage receiver my dad had. On the records that are clean and mint or near mint, it sounds very close in quality to my DAC, but there are aspects of the sound that are clearly better, such as the analog feel. I like the whole experience and the vinyl sound much better than music from CDs or computers. The huge album art, the big records, and the fun of putting them on the table all make playing records a very enjoyable and satisfying experience that I look forward to as well as share with friends. The emotional experience seems to parallel that of many members in this thread have with the Inception soundtrack.

I ordered up some more records and have been enjoying music, not gear, lately. I love Inception as a movie, as well as the soundtrack alone. When I saw it in theaters, the score was one of my favorite aspects of the movie. Picking up the soundtrack was definitely on my mind as I left the theater. I downloaded the two free tracks on the Inception site, Projections and Don't Think about Elephants, and they are great. 

I think I will get the vinyl LP of the Inception soundtrack. I will let you guys know what I think. 

LFF, what do you mean the full dynamic range? I have the Fostex T50RP headphones (damped) which can certainly go low and high enough, and some Polk RTi100 floorstanders that have subs that can go down to around 30 HZ. I am listening to Projections right now through the Logitech Z-2300s which can go down to around 30 hz, and the bass does go very low, I would say around 30-40 hz, if not lower. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #43 of 79

Quote:
GeorgeGoodman said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
LFF, what do you mean the full dynamic range? I have the Fostex T50RP headphones (damped) which can certainly go low and high enough, and some Polk RTi100 floorstanders that have subs that can go down to around 30 HZ. I am listening to Projections right now through the Logitech Z-2300s which can go down to around 30 hz, and the bass does go very low, I would say around 30-40 hz, if not lower. 

Technically speaking dynamic range is the difference between low-level noise and high-level signal saturation aka volume differences.

You're thinking of frequency range. Different things.

Quote:
How bout the 180 gram vinyl?

Haven't heard the 180g vinyl. Just check to make sure it wasn't mastered from the CD master.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #44 of 79
I will check out the source for the vinyl. 

I get what you are talking about. Dynamic range is what is destroyed by compression or the loudness war. I am a fan of recordings with large dynamic range, as they sound so much better. Nine Inch Nails, Hans Zimmer, Dire Straits, etc. I am actually doing a project on the loudness war and acoustical engineering. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #45 of 79

Quote:
I will check out the source for the vinyl. 

I get what you are talking about. Dynamic range is what is destroyed by compression or the loudness war. I am a fan of recordings with large dynamic range, as they sound so much better. Nine Inch Nails, Hans Zimmer, Dire Straits, etc. I am actually doing a project on the loudness war and acoustical engineering. 

Do check the source. Many vinyl pressings use the CD master as its source.

I love most classical OST's exactly because they are not compressed. Disney soundtracks usually have a HUGE amount of dynamics. Listen to the original release of the Aladdin soundtrack. Amazing sound! The Inception soundtrack sounds great. It is compressed but understandably so. Most of Zimmer's tracks have REALLY HUGE dynamic swings which makes for impressive listening and demonstrations. What is your project for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back