Incase Sonic/ Bose AE2 Dilemma
Feb 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Blackwolfglow

New Head-Fier
So, I currently have a pair of Ultrasone DJ1 headphones that I am selling today. While I loved the sound that they produced, I didn't find them comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time. That being said I am now looking for a comfortable around ear headphone. I have kind of boiled it down to two sets...

First the Bose AE2. This was the first thing that came to my mind as I thought of a light, comfortable headphone. I know that they are time tested and according to other reviews that I have read, should fit my needs. The only thing about them is that the price is a little high...

I then ran across the Incase Sonic cans. I guess this is where my questions come in. From what I've read they are insanely comfortable. I can see why that would be as they have the memory foam, but they are also very heavy. I have found various spec sheets that say that they weigh [size=small]635 g. That is much more then your average set of headphones, (my Ultrasones were only 285 g). It is strange though, because I have read in reviews that they are light..? It seems they would be quite bulky... Comfort being one of my top priorities, I want to know what your experience is with these headphones. I also wanted to know what you would recommend between them and the Bose AE2's. As well as if you knew a place that I can go to try on the Sonics... [/size]

[size=small]Any comments or help would be great, thanks![/size]

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 5
Interested as well... FWIW I have an AE2 and they are SUPER comfy.  They are my go-to cans for long conference calls and work meetings.  I also use them on NFL sundays.  I NEVER had a problem with comfort over LONG sessions.  Many complain abou the cable being cheap and thin.  I never had a problem with it and its light weight aids in comfort.  Ears do get a little warm though being pleather.  If they had velour earpads they'd be perfect.

Creative Aurvana Live gets TONS of HF praise in this size/price range.  I have never heard one, but I am kind of thinking about modding the AE2 with CAL drivers... it almost seems pointless though, for the non-critical applications I use the AE2 for.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 5
I have the incase sonics.  They ARE very comfy and stay put on my head,  They are heavier than the CAL! - but then the CAL! are super light. The sonics trounce the CAL! in build quality, but both sound excellent.

They isolate fairly well and about average for a good closed can.  They respond really well to equalization (I tone down bass and silibance - I'm a ballanced sound kind of guy) and I really like them.  I have many pairs to compare them to (including the rest of the incase line) and for the current market price of around $70  they just can't be beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back