In your opinion,how much bass is too much bass?
Jan 26, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 17
If you have more bass than the system the track was mixed/mastered on then you have too much bass.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 17
Depends on the genre.

I'm a bass-head and I listen to a LOT of trap music (hip hop trap, not the weird electronica offshoot), so for me as long as I can still hear the rest of the track and the vocals I say crank it up. But when it's time for subtler music, having a cello or low woodwind blow out the rest of the instruments is terrible.

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 17
For me there's no such thing..as long as it's not sloppy or distorted.

If it's boosted too far, even if not distorting nor sloppy because the amp and speaker/headphone together have compatible power needs and output (ie, "synergy," before people started using the term for colored gear cancelling each other out), it can still have one more problem: the system might stage the bass drum in front of the band. In reality, the bass drum is by the foot of the drummer, not the vocalist's. The bass guitar can also become overwhelming/distracting.

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 17
Oh, so you must be that jerk in the Honda Civic sitting next to me at the stop light that has more invested in the trunk of his car than he does in his education... :p

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 17
  If you have more bass than the system the track was mixed/mastered on then you have too much bass.

Assumes it was mixed/mastered perfectly (and every person doing the mixing and mastering has the exact same idea as perfect as you). For me with my settings, some songs have too much bass and others don't have enough. Personally I like a good amount of bass, just not to the point where it overpowers everything else.

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 17
I used to be more of a bass head but now (since I've started listening to a lot of jazz and classical) I like just enough bass to hear all the instruments and give them flavor.  So a cello is deep but doesn't overwhelm and maybe another instrument gets some presence.  Sort of like hitting the "fat" button on a tube amp.  

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 17
  Assumes it was mixed/mastered perfectly (and every person doing the mixing and mastering has the exact same idea as perfect as you). For me with my settings, some songs have too much bass and others don't have enough. Personally I like a good amount of bass, just not to the point where it overpowers everything else.

At least you'll be closer, and then have to EQ less if you disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back