In the market for some IEM’s, live music and recording
Feb 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ElectronicTonic

New Head-Fier
       I’m in the market for some IEM’s, and my budget is up to $300. 

I play drums and have my own recording studio. I’m currently using a pair of Milian Acoustics SV for monitoring while drumming. They have some cheap Sony drivers and sound pretty bad, but they’re great for sound isolation. I will mainly be using the IEM’s for monitoring, and possibly some mixing. I know that it’s not recommended to mix with headphones. I have mixing monitors, but would like a pair of IEM’s that would be close to reference. It's not much to ask , considering what I'm currently using. I have to constantly switch headphones, to hear what is actually going on. I will also be using them to play some live shows. So they need to be both comfortable, and durable.

Here’s a short list of IEM’s I’m considering, in no particular order.

Sure SE425
Westone UM PRO 20
Etymotic ER-4PT

Any opinions and suggestions are appreciated, thanks

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 7
  If you are looking for reference level, ER-4pt is unbeatable.

Thanks for the reply,

That's what I've been reading, but my only concern with them, is comfort. I will be playing some live shows that could be 2+hrs, and won't be able to adjust placement. Also, I will be moving quite a bit, so cord noise is also a concern.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 7
For comfort, there are a few ways around it.

1. Some people actually do recommend cutting off the third flange of the triple flange so that it is a bit more comfortable.
2. You can rub a little lotion on the triple flange so that it can soften.
3. Foams will always be an alternative; I've tried the yellow foam that comes with the ety. Decent level of comfort for me, I'm not too sure how it will be for 2 hours though.

As for cord noise, there are also a few solutions.

1. As per all IEMs, wearing it over the ear has been reported to decrease microphonics. I do think that the lack of a cable cinch will make it less feasible if you are moving a fair bit.
2. You can use the shirt clip that comes with the ety.

---

The Shures and Westone, to a certain extent, minimizes these issues. They are both worn over the ear (so no microphonics) and they have awesome tips (Shure olives and the Westone Star). I'm just not too certain if the sound signature will suit your need, that's why I suggested the etys.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Good luck in your search!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back