In the market for open-back headphones <$300 soon.
Aug 4, 2023 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BetaWolf

100+ Head-Fier
I have the Sennheiser HD660S and the AKG K371 already. I like the mids on the Sennheiser... but I just can't stand the Sennheiser veil. I'm willing to get something with slightly inferior mids if it means getting something with a more neutral sound signature. I'd prefer moderately good separation and soundstage for the price as well. I've owned other setups before, and that's something I miss only having the K371 and 660S.

It will be used with my Switch, PC, and MiSTer FPGA (for retrogaming). I'll be driving it with a Schiit Modi 3+, the latest Schiit Magni+, and I'll be tuning the sound to my liking with a Loki Mini+.

Aug 4, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Audio Technica ATH-R70x should be in budget, used. Maybe AKG 700 series?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 12
Used Hifiman XS should be right around that $300 mark. Maybe $320 but well worth it for what you're looking for.

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 12
I love my ATH-R70X and I'm running them through a Magni 3. The ATH-R70X have no upper veil but aren't shrill at all. They claim bass down to 5Hz and they're incredibly light and comfortable.

This review matches my experience.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

They are so neutral that if you're used to exaggerated headphones they will sound laid-back. But the details, bass and natural timbre are all there without being pushed at you. And the soundstage is so good that I have turned around to look for a sound coming from behind me.

I've had mine more than a year, hours of daily use, and I don't even find wear on the pads.

Thomann in the US and Europe has them new for about $320 shipped -- a little lower than the general retail price of $350 -- and a 30-day return policy in the extremely unlikely event that you don't like them. (I'd suggest looking at an unboxing video to open them -- it's an odd package.)

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 12
That's preferable for <$300? I owned a K701 and K7XX before and didn't like them. Bass was too receded, highs were a bit shrill/fatiguing, and the soundstage seemed over-exaggerated.
Yeah, I'd agree with your assessment of the K701, so I think you'd prefer the ATH-R70X.

Aug 5, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 12
Have you listened to many planars?

I also have the 660S, and like you while I can appreciate what it brings to the table, I simply don't "get it" - it's a mystery to me why the 6X0 series has attained such legendary status.

I'm relatively new to the hobby, but for my money, the Monolith M1570 just does soooooo many things right: the bass has body and depth to carry any genre, any song. The mids are thick and luscious and full of detail. Treble is maybe slightly rolled-off, but are still in another ballpark compared to the 660S. Comfort is the primary wildcard - these are heavy phones, the upshot being you can often find deals on used.

I also really like my Beyer DT-880/600. They're kinda like an oppositeworld 660S: everything you don't like about the 660S, the DT880 does the opposite. Cheap as hell too, even new.

Aug 16, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 12
Audio Technica ATH-R70x should be in budget, used. Maybe AKG 700 series?

I love my ATH-R70X and I'm running them through a Magni 3. The ATH-R70X have no upper veil but aren't shrill at all. They claim bass down to 5Hz and they're incredibly light and comfortable.

This review matches my experience.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

They are so neutral that if you're used to exaggerated headphones they will sound laid-back. But the details, bass and natural timbre are all there without being pushed at you. And the soundstage is so good that I have turned around to look for a sound coming from behind me.

I've had mine more than a year, hours of daily use, and I don't even find wear on the pads.

Thomann in the US and Europe has them new for about $320 shipped -- a little lower than the general retail price of $350 -- and a 30-day return policy in the extremely unlikely event that you don't like them. (I'd suggest looking at an unboxing video to open them -- it's an odd package.)
Just replying to these to say y'all did good. My R70X arrived last night and I love it! Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back