In the market for new over-ear, closed and portable headphones ($150 budget).
Mar 8, 2014 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sicbud

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I recently purchased a pair of HE-400 headphones and while I love them, they're not really portable and leak a lot of sound.  Therefore, I'm in the market for a nice pair of closed over-ear headphones that do not need an amp to be driven and are portable.  My budget is $150 (can go a little higher if needed).

I'll primarily be using these headphones for movies and games, so it would be nice to find something that has pronounced bass, but doesn't cause everything to sound muddy.  Since I plan on using these every day at work, I'd also need something that doesn't leak too much sound and bother the people around me.  So, just to reiterate:

Budget:
- $150 (can go a little higher if needed)

Requirements:
- Over-ear
- Closed
- Something that doesn't require and amp to be driven.
- Portable

Main uses:
- Movies and gaming

Secondary uses:
- Music (they'll be used quite a bit for music, but I don't mind sacrificing this for something that sounds a lot better with movies/games than music)

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I've been looking at a lot of pairs of headphones, but am a bit overwhelmed as I don't have much experience since I've only owned two pairs of decent headphones (AT-M50 and HE-400).

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance for any suggestions you make.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for your replies.  The UE6000 seem like they're pretty good for $100, but it seems like you have a pretty good chance of receiving a defective pair (I've also had some bad luck with Logitech headsets in the past), so that's one thing holding me back from ordering them right now.

Still need to read more on the other recommendations (dt770 and creative aurvana live 2), but thanks again for your suggestions.  If anyone else has anything else to add, please do.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 5
SRH840 plays almost everything well, except the real basshead genres. Build quality and isolation are both above average, and it comes with some extras. The only negative is the headband, which you might want to mod with foam.

DT770 would be my second choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back