In the market for new IEM's, around $215~
Aug 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Xarmydis

New Head-Fier
So, I'm looking to plunge up to $215 into new IEM's.  Here are some goals I have, and some thoughts:

Goals:

Good sound isolation (willing to get new tips in addition to the price, I don't like the triple flange thingies, much prefer foam)
Really tough wires (I want to be able to sleep with them and not tear through the wires. The tougher the better.)
And of course, good sound quality =D

Music I listen to:

Rock ala Rise Against/Billy Talent
Alternative~Green Day, and the likes
A lot of classical music
Don't listen to rap.

I enjoy bass as much as the next guy, but I really like clear highs and mids as well.  I love hearing clear vocals and the higher instruments, and it's definitely relevant to my classical listening.  I'm not looking for 10000% bass, is what I be saying.

So, is it doable head-fi? Is there something out there for me? =D

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
So, I'm looking to plunge up to $215 into new IEM's.  Here are some goals I have, and some thoughts:

Goals:

Good sound isolation (willing to get new tips in addition to the price, I don't like the triple flange thingies, much prefer foam)
Really tough wires (I want to be able to sleep with them and not tear through the wires. The tougher the better.)
And of course, good sound quality =D

Music I listen to:

Rock ala Rise Against/Billy Talent
Alternative~Green Day, and the likes
A lot of classical music
Don't listen to rap.

I enjoy bass as much as the next guy, but I really like clear highs and mids as well.  I love hearing clear vocals and the higher instruments, and it's definitely relevant to my classical listening.  I'm not looking for 10000% bass, is what I be saying.

So, is it doable head-fi? Is there something out there for me? =D

ACS T15 is amazing with the midrange with a fuller, warmer midrange.  Kevlar cables will work to ensure build, but lacks some strain reliefs on the housings.  Their tiny size will ensure great isolation and comfort while sleeping (especially with single flanges).  Phonak is another good idea to go after for great mids and highs as well as great bass depth.  They use the same types of build with Kevlar reinforced cables, and are shaped to fit your ears better.  

Those are the two I've heard, the last option really is because you'll be sleeping with them.  A Shure or Westone Model may help in this aspect.  I haven't heard any Shure models or lower-end Westones (only the 4/4R).  So I can't comment on sound.  However, from what I've read, Shure tends to focus on mids and vocals very well.  

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 6
For the Westones, here's my input.

Isolation is pretty standard if you use the foam or single flange tips. However the triple flange can get very good isolation, but can be uncomfortable at times (I trimmed mine down to double flanges to solve the problem).

The cable is the same as every other Westone cable. They're very tough, and probably my favorite (except for the ATH-CK10's). Absolutely no microphonics which is great.

Sound quality should be good for your tastes. Just keep in mind the highs are slightly rolled off (or at least they sound like they are). This means you won't have any problems with sibilance or fatigue, but it also means they aren't always very exciting.

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 6
The W2's should suit your needs well.  They are some of my favorite iem's.  The bass is very good in quality and has good strength, provides the right foundation for classical music.  The treble is smooth but it is all there.  The treble lacks the peaky nature which may sound like details but causes my fatigue.  If you like vocals, the westone's are great.  I also cut down the triple flange tips to biflange for the best fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back