in-the-ear earbuds
Mar 18, 2003 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jhyt

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a good pair of in-the-ear earbuds (e.g. the Sony MDR-EX70LP). Any good recommendations?

I can't use any "normal" earbuds because they always slip out of my ears.

I'd prefer a price of under $50. Also, if possible, could someone please explain to me why does the Sony MDR-NC11 cost so much ($US 150 on the sony website!!!) ?

Cheers

Mar 18, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 14
The Sony MDR-NC11 is a noise cancelling headphone, uses a microphone to detect certain sounds and tries to cancel them with destructive wave patterns.

What you probably want is noise isolation (ear plugs), not noise cancelling. You can still hear people talk or other non-repetitive background noise with noise cancelling.

There is the EX70 and EX71 from sony. I recommend those if you are on a budget. You might want to look into the Koss plugs, but they are suppose to be the bottom of the barrel in terms of sound quality.

These are probably beyond your budget, but the ER-6 and the Shure E2c might be good alternatives.

If you are open minded to other portable headphones that are not ear buds, the koss KSC-50 and the Sennheiser PX100 and PX200 might be other possibilities.

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 14
Jhyt,
I believe the ex71 is an improved version of the ex70. I used to have the EX70lp and used to like them. However, I feel that the ex70lp has too much bass and has recess high. I hope that the EX71Lp get rid of the problem. Oh, the ex70lp is known for its harsh treble and bright presentation.

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Jhyt
What's the difference between the Sony MDR EX70 and EX71??

And what's the SL or LP that comes after the model numbers?

I believe the SL refers to a short cord (for use with an in-line remote), while LP is for a longer cord.

Mar 19, 2003 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

What's the difference between the Sony MDR EX70 and EX71??

And what's the SL or LP that comes after the model numbers?

SL is indeed the short cord version.

As for the EX71, it's the new version of the EX70. It comes with a new silver hard case and a different extension cord. There's also a new EX51 (and the E888 has been discontinued).

Mar 19, 2003 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 14
MacDEF, is that official about the 888's? I've heard rumours to that effect.

Mar 19, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

As for the EX71, it's the new version of the EX70. It comes with a new silver hard case and a different extension cord. There's also a new EX51 (and the E888 has been discontinued).

What's the difference between the two extension cords?

Also, does the EX71 sound better than the EX 70?? Does anyone have both of these and could comment on that?

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

For that matter, so is the E848 and maybe the Groove series (however crappy they are), with no successor models at all whatsoever -- so that Sony will have nothing at all above the el-cheapo E829V among conventional earbuds sold in the USA (and I know that the E829V is essentially stock Sony earbuds with a volume control attached to them).

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

What's the difference between the two extension cords?

Also, does the EX71 sound better than the EX 70?? Does anyone have both of these and could comment on that?

Here is a link to a review over at Audiocubes comparing the two:

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_re...reviews_id=175

Here is a link to a thread discussing the EX71. Not a lot of people on this board have tried them yet, as they are rather new (and don't sound incredibly promising, from initial comparisons to the EX70).

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...highlight=ex71

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 14
Hey, thanks for the links!

I've decided to get the EX71. However, I don't seem to be able to find a place that sells them at a cheaper price. I'm pretty sure there has to be a place that sells them under 40USD ... since for the EX70, Sony sells it for 50 but on TechTV's online store and Etronics.com, they sells it for around 35USD.

So, any recommendations for a good online seller that sells the EX71 at a lower price? I tried eBay and Amazon, and neither of them has it.

[edit]: Also, is there a EX71 LP version? So far all I found is the SL version ...

Mar 19, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 14
for something between the ex70 and the ety er4, you could get the ety er6 with the foam plugs.

Mar 19, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
MacDEF, is that official about the 888's? I've heard rumours to that effect.

A friend of mine heard it directly from Sony.

(Then again, some Sony people claim to this day that the MDR-V6 was discontinued, even though it's not true
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Mar 20, 2003 at 12:07 AM Post #14 of 14
The Ex71 comes in SL, which means you not only get the short cord version( I think its called SP), but also a 1m or so extension cord. The cord with the extension cord is at LEAST the same as the LP version.
The problem with getting a sub 40 dollar price for these is that they are imported from japan. All US model earphones/headphones are LP version and all SL/SP models of earphones/headphones are imported so the prices are generally higher. I don't think the 71's will drop below the $42 price of EX70SL's(Audiocubes), and thats not including shipping.

I think that if you don't care that much about the short cord, the 70LP's will save you money, but if you really would like a short cord, and perhaps the new carrying bag, you should get the 71's. The only other difference I believe worth mentioning is that the cord on the 71's is supposed to be stronger compared to the allegedly frail cords of the ex70's.

Hope that was helpful,
-Krymson (EX71SL owner)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back