IN SERIOUS NEED FOR HELP WITH EQUALIZING
Aug 14, 2013 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Kaupakay

New Head-Fier
            Okay, I have been lurking around this forum for a few years and a month or two ago I finally joined for help modding my Grados. I own several pairs of headphones, and my favorites are the Logitech UE 6000, which are my day-to-day on the go headphones that I use straight out of my iPod. But, since I received and modded my Grados thoroughly, nothing sounds right anymore. I like the Grados, but by no means am in love with their sound, or comfort, but since optimizing their sound quality none of my other headphones seem to sound as good anymore. I have come to believe that my ears got used to the brightness of the Grados and now everything else, even everyday life such as traffic, seems to sound as if there is a veil over it. Everything just seems to lack brightness and life. But every time I EQ my headphones to give them better highs they seem to become too sibilant. I cannot find a good sweet spot. Does anyone have any recommendations for equalizing my UE 6000s?

Many Thanks,
                                           Kayle

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 18
Sounds like you're in the middle of some sort of 'modded-Grado honeymoon phase'. 
The UE6000 compared to any Grado is a VERY different headphone.

Maybe instead of EQ'ing it might be better to appreciate each headphone for their unique qualities and discover how both headphones synergise with different music genres.

I would appreciate how the UE6000 performs better at any type of EDM, and Grado's perform better with any sort of acoustic and rock music. 

Maybe this isn't the answer you're looking for, but it's the one that makes your life easier without buying a replacement for the UE6000 (which is actually the easiest but most costly solution).

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 18
   Well I love my UE 6000 but nothing sounds right anymore. I fell victim to the Grado sound. My favorite genre is actually EDM, but the problem is, for the last 2 months I have been going through a very big rock faze, consisting mostly of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink 182, Sugar Ray, Panic at the Disco, Modest Mouse, etc. Maybe its just a phase, lets hope so. If I do replace the UEs though what would you recommend in the same price range, I was thinking the Focal Spirit Ones.

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 18
Focals are quite good - quite a strong tight bass and certainly an upgrade from the UE6000, although overall very similar target market and sound - great for EDM.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
            Okay, I have been lurking around this forum for a few years and a month or two ago I finally joined for help modding my Grados. I own several pairs of headphones, and my favorites are the Logitech UE 6000, which are my day-to-day on the go headphones that I use straight out of my iPod. But, since I received and modded my Grados thoroughly, nothing sounds right anymore. I like the Grados, but by no means am in love with their sound, or comfort, but since optimizing their sound quality none of my other headphones seem to sound as good anymore. I have come to believe that my ears got used to the brightness of the Grados and now everything else, even everyday life such as traffic, seems to sound as if there is a veil over it. Everything just seems to lack brightness and life. But every time I EQ my headphones to give them better highs they seem to become too sibilant. I cannot find a good sweet spot. Does anyone have any recommendations for equalizing my UE 6000s?

Many Thanks,
                                           Kayle

Heya,

Your brain will tune-out things that are too high pitch after a while. So as it seems to go away, and you crank it up, to the point of sibilance, that's probably what's going on there.

Be wary, this could also be your hearing being damaged if you're listening at high volumes to overcome the environment (traffic, etc).

Very best,

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 18
a
Heya,

Your brain will tune-out things that are too high pitch after a while. So as it seems to go away, and you crank it up, to the point of sibilance, that's probably what's going on there.

Be wary, this could also be your hearing being damaged if you're listening at high volumes to overcome the environment (traffic, etc).

Very best,

agreed. you might b starting to go deaf also. as the fine hairs
in ur ear that dectct n transmit highs to u brain to not regrow when damaged <3

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Heya,

Very best,

I'm not sure thats the problem, at least I hope not. I don't usually listen to my music too loud, but I will make sure to check my volume more often. I definitely dont crank up my Grados, those get too sibilant and bright when I turn them up anything past about 60% through my iPod.

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 18
    I'm not sure thats the problem, at least I hope not. I don't usually listen to my music too loud, but I will make sure to check my volume more often. I definitely dont crank up my Grados, those get too sibilant and bright when I turn them up anything past about 60% through my iPod.

Sounds like you have probably gotten used to the more forward mids and highs on the Grados, which are unnaturally so. If I listen to my Grados a lot, then my speakers and other headphones tend to sound kind of that way as well. Try taking a break from your Grados for a week, listening only to the UE 6000, and see if your brain adjusts back to the other sound.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Sounds like you have probably gotten used to the more forward mids and highs on the Grados, which are unnaturally so. If I listen to my Grados a lot, then my speakers and other headphones tend to sound kind of that way as well. Try taking a break from your Grados for a week, listening only to the UE 6000, and see if your brain adjusts back to the other sound.

Okay will do. Ill report back with my experience.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 18
     I'm looking at buying a new portable amp or amp/dac for my iPod/laptop would it be worth it to get the fiio e17 for the headphones I have or would it be kind of a waste considering they are just entry level headphones.

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
     I'm looking at buying a new portable amp or amp/dac for my iPod/laptop would it be worth it to get the fiio e17 for the headphones I have or would it be kind of a waste considering they are just entry level headphones.

and amp dac is never a waste, trust me you will own better headphones in the future, and even right now it will b an improvement! 

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #12 of 18

The E17 is at a pretty good price right now on Amazon. Grados are pretty easy to drive with portable devices, so you might not notice much of a difference with your iPod with them. But laptops can generally benefit from a DAC/amp.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
The E17 is at a pretty good price right now on Amazon. Grados are pretty easy to drive with portable devices, so you might not notice much of a difference with your iPod with them. But laptops can generally benefit from a DAC/amp.

What about my UE6000? I feel like the UEs will benefit a lot from an amp because they seem very quiet not matter what volume I put them at. Even with their built in amp they still are a very quiet headphone so am I correct it assuming that an amp will fix this?

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 18
I don't have any experience with the UE6000. What's weird is the Logitech website says the impedance is 1K ohms when powered on. That doesn't seem right, but maybe the impedance does go up with ANC enabled. Portable devices don't do well powering higher impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back