In Search Of The Perfect Portable Headphone
Sep 19, 2003 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stevesolo

100+ Head-Fier
Part of the fun of the hobby for me is to audition and trade different headphones in search of the perfect headphone. I have been listening to a pair of PX100's I recently got and overall I am very happy with them for what they are, an inexpensive, light and convienent portable. I find them to be in the same league as the KSC-35's or the Proapros with slightly less base response. Call me crazy but I find the Sennheiser MX400's with my Zen as a source to be cleaner and have more clarity but with less base impact than any of the above at 1/3 the price. I guess we are all looking for that one headphone that will have it all and meet all our needs which is probably impossible. The closest I have come so far without spending a fortune is HD600's with a Meta but that is not exactly portable. I like the value priced 280's and V6's both amped and unamped but I would not consider either of those cans to be very portable either.

I would love to try the Ety 4P's but there is no local place that sells them and because of the personal hygene issue, I hesitate to buy a used pair or offer a new pair for resale if I dont like the fit or cant get used to them. I hear such mixed impressions, reviews, insertion and seal issues

How does the Grado sound and comfort of the SR60's or 80's compare?

Although I find the PX100's plastic case to be a neat way to store and transport them, I find that when stored in its case, indentations are left in the foam pads.

Could I be not placing them in the case properly?

Sep 19, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 4
Get the 4P's, in many ways they are better than my HD 600's. As for hygiene, the only part that gets put in the ear itself is the tip, and those can be replaced w/new tips (ie, as good as new). Just get the 4P's and get off the "upgrade" merry-go-round right now. . .
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Sep 20, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 4
I'm with Tyson on this one. Get the 4P and you're done. IMHO, you then have the ultimate portable 'phone. Then get a 4P to 4S cable, and according to many here, you may just have the ultimate home 'phone as well.
tongue.gif

Headroom has a 30 day money back guarantee........can't beat that.
If you are still against the insertion thing, though, I've said numerous times, that at their retail price of $69, the Grado SR-60s are an unbelievable value. I love them.
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2003 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 4
Are the ER6 a lot worse than the 4Ps? Or maybe one of the entry level Shures?
I am also curious about those, but I just can't justify spending $300 in something that I believe I won't like. Might never get used to sticking them in the ear. X_X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back