In search of the elusive Eggos
May 20, 2003 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Pov

Head-Fier
Based on all the reading I've done here, I'm ready to try a pair of D66 Eggos to replace my V6s. My understanding is that they are closed, provide a decent amount of isolation, aren't as heavy as the V6s, and sound pretty good. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Now for the problem - where do I find these damn things? I don't even see them on the SONY site! I've done Yahoo searches and can't find them anywhere. Can someone recommend a good place to buy them from?

May 20, 2003 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 28
www.audiocubes.com would be your best bet. They aren't sold in shops outside of Asia as far as I know and even there in quite a few places. Btw how do you feel about the sound of the V6? If you're enjoying the fairly bassy sound from these, the D66 might not be the answer.

May 20, 2003 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Pov
Based on all the reading I've done here, I'm ready to try a pair of D66 Eggos to replace my V6s. My understanding is that they are closed, provide a decent amount of isolation, aren't as heavy as the V6s, and sound pretty good. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Now for the problem - where do I find these damn things? I don't even see them on the SONY site! I've done Yahoo searches and can't find them anywhere. Can someone recommend a good place to buy them from?

e-bay has had them lately, as has minidisco.
http://www.minidisco.com/mdr-d66slb.html

May 20, 2003 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 28
TMC's right, D66 might no have bass like V6. but D66's cristal clear, smooth sound sure beats v6 to my ears.

May 20, 2003 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Pov

The original line of eggos was D-11, D-33, D-55, and D-77. These were available in the US from about 1992-1997.

May 20, 2003 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Pov

The eggos have a diaphragm in them which allows some sound to come in and mix with the music, not directly, but through vibrations of this 'vent diaphragm'.

May 20, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Btw how do you feel about the sound of the V6? If you're enjoying the fairly bassy sound from these, the D66 might not be the answer.

Well, I don't consider the V6s to be "bassy," particularly when compared to myPortapros. I'm not a bass freak. I like it to be clean and tight - not booming, but it does have to be there. Should I reconsider the PX200s?

May 20, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Pov

I would not hesitate. They are fine headphones.

May 20, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Pov
Well, I don't consider the V6s to be "bassy," particularly when compared to myPortapros. I'm not a bass freak. I like it to be clean and tight - not booming, but it does have to be there. Should I reconsider the PX200s?

I've yet to hear the V6 myself, but according to people that have heard both the D66 are not as dynamic in the bass range. So if you think you wouldn't want less impactful bass than what the V6 offer you probably should look at something else. Personally I find the sound from D66 being good for all-round usage with a wide variety of music. As for PX200 I don't like them that much and I doubt they will be an upgrade compared to V6.

May 20, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 28
Got mine a AudoCubes also.

FAST. Osaka Japan to Las Vegas in 3 days flat.

May 20, 2003 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 28
OK, well I just placed my order for the Eggos with Audio Cubes. Let's see now, since I found this board I've bought Sennheiser MX500's, Koss Portapros, and now the Eggos (and I already had the V6s!) That's it, no more headphones for me (unless the Eggos don't have sufficient isolation, then I may look into the Etys . . . )

May 20, 2003 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Pov
OK, well I just placed my order for the Eggos with Audio Cubes. Let's see now, since I found this board I've bought Sennheiser MX500's, Koss Portapros, and now the Eggos (and I already had the V6s!) That's it, no more headphones for me (unless the Eggos don't have sufficient isolation, then I may look into the Etys . . . )

and the list goes on and on...

May 20, 2003 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Pov
(unless the Eggos don't have sufficient isolation, then I may look into the Etys . . . )

I see you already gave yourself an excuse.
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Pov

The eggos are closed, but with a sympathetic diaphragm to allow street sounds to be heard, for safety.

May 20, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 28
for iriver users, if using a d66, how much bass can be achieve by turning up the bass all the way (or U-bass)

and yes this forum is crazy, i already spend $100 for headphones since i joined, and i joined not over a month ago! doesn't look good for the future either, because i'm considering my 3rd pair
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back