In search of headphones in the middle of nowhere (Canada).
Jun 15, 2002 at 1:01 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by aos

Local shops are just too expensive and with Headroom too much money is wasted on brokerage, not to mention that it's a major hassle as you get brokerage invoice separately in mail and you have to cut a check and mail it back to them - at your expense of course.

[various hairy comments]

1) Headroom only uses FedEx to Canada, never UPS or anything else (http://headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=6&subTopicID=49).

2) When I got DT831 from Musician's Gear, I paid UPS invoice by phoning them and giving them (UPS) my mastercard number.

3) When I ordered HD600 from Hans der Baar store on eBay half a year ago, I ended up paying something like 8 CAD in tax on them (he did not put value on the parcel, although I have no idea if it's normal when dealing with him or not).

4) There are also some decent shops in Canada with good prices, eg. Brooklyn Audio (Dartmouth, NS. I'm currently in process of ordering Sugden Headmaster from them -- 799 USD shipped in Canada and if you're out of province you won't pay tax), Soundstage Fine Audio in Waterloo, ON (I do not know if they ship though. I got my MG Head OTL from for them 430 CAD, but I showed up in person), and this is just places *I* dealt with. I'm sure there're more around.

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by zzz

[various hairy comments]
Soundstage Fine Audio in Waterloo, ON (I do not know if they ship though. I got my MG Head OTL from for them 430 CAD, but I showed up in person), and this is just places *I* dealt with. I'm sure there're more around.

Sweet, I'm going to school in Waterloo right now.. :p
Must resist urge not to buy anymore.... but can't help myself.. ^^

Biggie.

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #20 of 30
Whelp, I finally got a reply from Steve's Music. They say they have the Beyer 250s for $229 Canadian (pretty good price, no?). I found one store in my city that can order the Senn 280s for $285 Canadian. Like hell I'm paying that much for a $99 US pair of headphones. So, looks like it'll be the Beyers! Now all I need is to find the right amp. Either I order from Steve's Music here in Canada and get a JMT amp, or I order from Jan Meier and get a Porta Corda along with my Beyers. Gonna start up a thread in the Amp forum to get input as to which way to go.

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #21 of 30
1) Headroom only uses FedEx to Canada, never UPS or anything else (http://headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=6&subTopicID=49).

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that you won't pay brokerage. As DIY'er I order many packages each year, and with every major courier. At some point, EACH ONE of them charged me money for brokerage. Sometimes it can take 2-3 months for the bill to arrive. I personally paid brokerage for my one and only Headroom order, about 2 1/2 years ago. Some couriers are more or less likely to charge you, and sometimes for certain vendors they don't charge you at all. But, NO courier will ship you package from ALL companies without EVER charging brokerage!

Don't forget that some vendors have their own brokers in which case the price you've paid includes the fee - Digikey is a good example. Usually only very large vendors and/or ones who appreciate Canadian market have that in place. In short, anything can happen and relying that brokerage won't be charged can piss you off couple of months down the row. I got voice mail from my company last month about some brokerage bill from December that got accidentally paid by them to the company broker for a private package that arrived to me. Imagine how pissed of I was at another $25 for 10 pieces of AD8610 which are $6 each, on top of probably $40 of shipping - and the package took a month to be shipped in the first place.

2) Paying over the phone is more convenient, but I doubt you can do that always. Invoices in my case are usually quite specific about only ca$h or money order. Maybe I haven't paid attention...

4) There are also some decent shops in Canada with good prices, eg. Brooklyn Audio (Dartmouth, NS. I'm currently in process of ordering Sugden Headmaster from them -- 799 USD shipped in Canada and if you're out of province you won't pay tax), Soundstage Fine Audio in Waterloo, ON (I do not know if they ship though. I got my MG Head OTL from for them 430 CAD, but I showed up in person), and this is just places *I* dealt with. I'm sure there're more around.

That's good to know. But there aren't any in greater Vancouver area where I live and this is the FIRST time I've heard of any vendor in Canada having a good price. I'll have to write these places down.

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #22 of 30
Aos, I emailed www.stevesmusic.com. They've got stores in Toronto and Montreal I understand, and have pretty much every major brand. I plan to get my Beyers from them, for much less than I'd have to pay ANYWHERE else. In the future, try checking them out, maybe you can find what youre looking for there.

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by 5th_Ghostbuster
Aos, I emailed www.stevesmusic.com. They've got stores in Toronto and Montreal I understand, and have pretty much every major brand. I plan to get my Beyers from them, for much less than I'd have to pay ANYWHERE else. In the future, try checking them out, maybe you can find what youre looking for there.

Its the place to go in Ontario for musicans, so I would figure the headphones they sell consist of only those made for studio recording use.

I'm going to check out that waterloo store this wednesday. I want to demo some headphone amps. :p

Biggie.

Jun 15, 2002 at 7:55 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ

I'm going to check out that waterloo store this wednesday. I want to demo some headphone amps. :p

Biggie.

Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
they have headphone amps???

Soundstage carries wide range of audio and video equipment which in plain speak means that they don't have much headphone-specific stuff. They (or should I say `he` as I only saw one guy there and I bet he's the owner of the place too... always stands at the counter fixing pcdps
smily_headphones1.gif
) can get virtually anything though.

From what I've been told, normally there's one or two MG Heads (having Divergent in the same town and all...) in stock and even though they currently don't have Sugden Headmaster, they can get it in a couple of weeks, so check it out, maybe he's got something interesting.

Jun 15, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #27 of 30
Well, I've placed my order from the Montreal location of Steve's Music. Getting Beyer DT 250-80s! Weeeeeeeee! I'm paying $229 Canadian ($148 US), which while a bit more than you paid for yours Biggie, is still better than I could get pretty much anywhere else. Now all I need is my JMT amp. Can't wait!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #28 of 30
Soundstage Fine Audio in waterloo ontario is selling the MG Head for about $300 canadian if anyone cares.

There is a sale going on, and I'm very tempted to pick one up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Jul 5, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #29 of 30
Ack, tempting. But I think I'm gonna stick with my JMT CHA-47 that's on the way, and see how I like this high end audio stuff before blowing too much money on it all.
By the way, Steve's Music SUCKS. Nothing but problems with trying to order from them (their Montreal location). Unfriendly people to deal with, and who apparently have no clue what they're doing. Won't bother getting into it, but I don't ever plan to do business with them again. Not impressed, at all. Instead, I'm ordering from Jan Meier, at www.meier-audio.com, which is what I should have done in the first place. Unbeatable prices, and very friendly people to deal with. I haven't gotten my headphones, but so far so good. I plan to purchase from him again in the future. My headphones should be here sometime next week, and I can't wait!

Jul 5, 2002 at 10:20 AM Post #30 of 30
Want to try somewhere outside of the US? I recently visited London England last month. There was this shop in Tottenham Court Road that was offering the HD600 for roughly $170 (with warranty), is that cheap or what?! Hence why I'm using 1 now! I think they assemble the units in Ireland. Is that of any relevance?

Anyway their URL is: www.askdirect.co.uk
Email: sales@askdirect.co.uk
Mail order tel.#: 0800 132 183

I'm not sure how much they charge for international shipping. Would you need to pay custom/taxes for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back