In search of headphones in the middle of nowhere (Canada).
Jun 13, 2002 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

5th_Ghostbuster

New Head-Fier
Living in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan sucks. Not a single store here carries either of the phones I'm looking for (nor can they order in, or so they claim...): Senn 280 Pros, Beyer 250-80s, Grado SR 80s. So now I have to find somewhere else to go. Can anyone in Canada reccomend where to search? I tried emailing a company called Steve's Music a few times, but haven't gotten any response. I've been told I'll probably end up paying a brokerage fee of around 30 bucks if I order from HeadRoom. Any Canadians out there order from any sites or stores, and had good luck getting them (fast delivery, no extra charges to get across the border, etc)? If all else fails I guess I'll just get my Senn 280s from HeadRoom along with an Airhead amp, and pay that damn 30 dollar fee...
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 30
Steves is really busy, their site says 2 days for email replies, you could always call them. :p

Biggie.

Jun 13, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 30
AFAIK, only UPS charge brokerage fee. Fedex on the other hand, doesn't. The last timetime I ordered from the States (from Crucial, a bunch of SDRAM) I don't remember paying any brokerage fee.

Jun 14, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 30
UPS can charge more then 25. They charged me about $30 on a $55 headphone amp... and they charged my friend $100 dollars on 2 pairs of shoes... plus you have to pay federal + provincal sales tax on the goods (15% in Ontario). Too much money!

Biggie.

Jun 14, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 30
tax in canada is too high. in BC its 14.5%, because of the 0.5% increase our crappy provincial government implemented a few months ago...we're creeping up on ontarios sales tax now!!!
biggrin.gif

Alberta ppl have it lucky...ony 7% GST and thats it...lucky asses...

5th_Ghostbuster : are you sure you have phoned ALL the audio and stereo places in your phone book??? at least one of them has to carry SOMETHING....like some grados, senns, or sony 7506...

also try phoning places under Musical Instruments. Tom Lee (is it a store canada wide?) instrument store carries dj equipment, and most of the time will also have some headphones like sony 7506, beyers, or akgs.

i cant believe it. In vancouver BC there is one store that carries the ENTIRE grado line minus the sr40. They carry the 60, 80, 125, 225, 335, rs1, rs2, AND the ra1 headphone amp.

Plus lots of places also have high end senns like the 580 and 600.

Jun 14, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
tax in canada is too high. in BC its 14.5%, because of the 0.5% increase our crappy provincial government implemented a few months ago...

It went up to 14.5%??! Weird, I haven't heard a thing about it...
Quote:

Plus lots of places also have high end senns like the 580 and 600.

I've seen the HD600's for $600 CDN, but where have you seen the 580's?

Jun 14, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
if you're desperate, headroom ships to canada.

Lol, I guess you didn't read his post. :p

Hrmm I wish headroom would use U.S. postal service... too bad they don't track orders..

Biggie.

Jun 14, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
if you're desperate, headroom ships to canada.

If I were to buy the 600's online, I think I would probably go with Meier Audio for $220 US (or less if their sales action still on?... if anyone here is looking into buying one, e-mail them about it, it won't say on their site) just for the price alone, as I really wouldn't be able to afford anything else. Anyways, at the moment I'm in no situation to be buying headphones. I'll just have to make do with what I have at the moment. Thanks andrzejpw.

Jun 14, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 30
try Marc at www.audioshop.on.ca

He is great, located in downtown Ottawa and I believe he will ship many things free across Canada. Prices are decent to great and you don't pay exchange and all that other crappy stuff.

Jun 14, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 30
Sheesh. Well, does does HeadRoom ONLY ship via UPS? Surely I could get them to ship using an alternate source, vastly reducing any fees I'd have to pay to obtain my headphones.

Still haven't gotten a response from Steve's Music, and it's been days now.
frown.gif

Jlo: Yes, I've called every, single, store...not a one can help me.

Zanth: I just emailed them, asking if they carry either the Beyer 250s or Senn 280s, but by the look of their site, they carry neither brand. *hopes and prays they do*

Sigh...
frown.gif

Jun 14, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 30
Jan Meier ships via postal mail and you'll only pay $5 extra for the priviledge of being taxed by goverment. Of course, you'll also pay taxes but that you can't avoid anyway (unless you actually travel out of the country and bring stuff back in with you). I ordered 2 headphones from him so far and other than waiting 2-3 weeks, and having to buy an international money order from my bank, it was a good experience. He might be accepting PayPal now so ordering is easier.

Local shops are just too expensive and with Headroom too much money is wasted on brokerage, not to mention that it's a major hassle as you get brokerage invoice separately in mail and you have to cut a check and mail it back to them - at your expense of course. Hassle level with Headroom is therefore no less than with Jan Meier and money orders. When you consider you're saving hundreds of dollars, it's well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back