In search of END GAME headphones(for me).
Mar 28, 2023 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SalemKotSabriny

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I am looking for headphones I' ll keep for a long time, something I' ll stick to. I have never tried to describe sound I like before, so it might be a little bit silly... I'll try my best.
I am not a bass head, but like controlled and deep bass. I like sound of bass in general and I am looking for that feeling, vibration I think it' s called sub bass?(the bass you can feel like in the beggining of this song ). I like detailed, but not analytical headphones which may be dull and flat to listen to. I prefer neutral sound with bigger headstage and good imaging. I like music to be presented in front of my face(that I can feel like whispering to my ear hehe) rather than listening to a song from the distance.My favourite genres are punk rock(widely understood), soul, early reggae,SKA,2 tone(jamaican music), old school RAP and sometimes little bit of JAZZ and classical.

I own CUSTOM ART FIBAE 3X3 which I like and BEYERDYNAMIC DT 900 PRO X which are OK but lack of something.
I heard, a few STAX sound demos on youtube and I was really impressed(STAX L300/500/700) , but I am afraid that these are not so good for music I like...
I heard some demo's of AUDEZE LCD2C but I dont like the "step back" sound.

I want something to play with my Ibasso dx220 MAX.
DAP+HEADPHONES or DAP+AMPLIFIER+HEADPHONES

My budget is 1500GBP +/-200 for new or used headphones.

Thanks

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 12
HiFiMan HE1000V2 OG is endgame for a bigger head staging headphone in your price range. That being said you state right after the staging comment that you're looking for the opposite. It pairs awesomely for your genres but is a bit more on the analytical side.

Meze Empyrean is a great option for your genre preferences and it's in your price range for second hand models. Empyrean images phenomenally and it's more of an intimate in your head experience but still has a natural soundstage. It's nowhere near as detailed as the HE1000V2 though but will drive beautifully with your DAP.

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 12
HiFiMan HE1000V2 OG is endgame for a bigger head staging headphone in your price range. That being said you state right after the staging comment that you're looking for the opposite. It pairs awesomely for your genres but is a bit more on the analytical side.

Meze Empyrean is a great option for your genre preferences and it's in your price range for second hand models. Empyrean images phenomenally and it's more of an intimate in your head experience but still has a natural soundstage. It's nowhere near as detailed as the HE1000V2 though but will drive beautifully with your DAP.
Thank you, I' ll check these out :)

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 12
Hello,
I am looking for headphones I' ll keep for a long time, something I' ll stick to. I have never tried to describe sound I like before, so it might be a little bit silly... I'll try my best.
I am not a bass head, but like controlled and deep bass. I like sound of bass in general and I am looking for that feeling, vibration I think it' s called sub bass?(the bass you can feel like in the beggining of this song ). I like detailed, but not analytical headphones which may be dull and flat to listen to. I prefer neutral sound with bigger headstage and good imaging. I like music to be presented in front of my face(that I can feel like whispering to my ear hehe) rather than listening to a song from the distance.My favourite genres are punk rock(widely understood), soul, early reggae,SKA,2 tone(jamaican music), old school RAP and sometimes little bit of JAZZ and classical.

I own CUSTOM ART FIBAE 3X3 which I like and BEYERDYNAMIC DT 900 PRO X which are OK but lack of something.
I heard, a few STAX sound demos on youtube and I was really impressed(STAX L300/500/700) , but I am afraid that these are not so good for music I like...

Thanks

I tried the song with the original Utopia and the feeling from the drums in the beginning is really great. I also like them with punk rock and soul but don’t really listen to your other main genres…

I think you should be able to get a used pair for around 1700GBP. Might be worth trying to hear some in your search.

Edit* they do not have big sound stage but things do feel right around you

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 12
I tried the song with the original Utopia and the feeling from the drums in the beginning is really great. I also like them with punk rock and soul but don’t really listen to your other main genres…

I think you should be able to get a used pair for around 1700GBP. Might be worth trying to hear some in your search.

Edit* they do not have big sound stage but things do feel right around you
Thanks, these are a little bit expensive, but check them out anyway.

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 12
That being said you state right after the staging comment that you're looking for the opposite.

I don't think it's necessarily contradictory to want a headphone with a forward ('in front of my face' as they mentioned) feeling but also have a large stage. For example, notably I feel like the AKG K702 does this. It's quite forward but still able to project a wide stage (albeit with not very much frontal depth); though that's just an example - definitely not the headphone that OP is looking for.

Though I do definitely agree with your recommendation of the HE1000V2, I think with the right amp they'll be able to get that visceral bass experience, and it also has a wide and deep stage while having the ability to get a quite intimate/forward frontal image when called for as well. I was thinking the Arya might do it, but the Arya is noticeably more analytical sounding and has a more recessed, thinner body vocal which never really captures that forwardness that the HE1000V2 can exhibit at times (for example, with vocals).

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't think it's necessarily contradictory to want a headphone with a forward ('in front of my face' as they mentioned) feeling but also have a large stage. For example, notably I feel like the AKG K702 does this. It's quite forward but still able to project a wide stage (albeit with not very much frontal depth); though that's just an example - definitely not the headphone that OP is looking for.

Though I do definitely agree with your recommendation of the HE1000V2, I think with the right amp they'll be able to get that visceral bass experience, and it also has a wide and deep stage while having the ability to get a quite intimate/forward frontal image when called for as well. I was thinking the Arya might do it, but the Arya is noticeably more analytical sounding and has a more recessed, thinner body vocal which never really captures that forwardness that the HE1000V2 can exhibit at times (for example, with vocals).
HE1000V2 is a monster of a headphone, especially at its current price and I would say that it defines the word End Game for a tonne of attributes. I would throw an Audeze into the mix but their entire line isn't great at soundstage.

I'd probably throw out a bunch more affordable options that I personally consider end game but I don't think that's what the OP is looking for.

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 12
HE1000V2 is a monster of a headphone, especially at its current price and I would say that it defines the word End Game for a tonne of attributes. I would throw an Audeze into the mix but their entire line isn't great at soundstage.

I'd probably throw out a bunch more affordable options that I personally consider end game but I don't think that's what the OP is looking for.
I am in the middle of Hifiman HE1000V2 reviewand think it could be exactly what I am looking for. What about the DAC?
Could my Ibasso drive it somehow? I'll buy something more powerfull in the futre If necessary.

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 12
I am in the middle of Hifiman HE1000V2 reviewand think it could be exactly what I am looking for. What about the DAC?
Could my Ibasso drive it somehow? I'll buy something more powerfull in the futre If necessary.

I drive mine with an Astell & Kern KANN Max and it's got plenty of headroom and sounds phenomenal but I'm not sure about the specs on the iBasso

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 12
I drive mine with an Astell & Kern KANN Max and it's got plenty of headroom and sounds phenomenal but I'm not sure about the specs on the iBasso
Here are the specs, I don' t know what it is about ;/
12414.png

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 12
Mar 28, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 12
Hello,

Thanks

For that price you could get a used OG Utopia, they go for around your budget and do offer TOTL resolution/detail capabilities, and also have a rather intimate presentation which may fit your preferences. This intimacy does come at the cost of soundstage width, though depth and imaging are excellent. Bass dynamics are very good, however quantity does leave a bit to be desired, and its sub-bass doesn't compare favorably to its planar competitors. The sound is also tuned relatively flat, some people found it dull and analytical so certainly try before you buy. Drivability is excellent, and your DAP should have no problems, though they do scale with better gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back