In search of a desktop amp...
Jan 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

powerpopper

Head-Fier
Have gotten some great info from this forum and I'm a real newbie to headphones but have used AKG Q701's for recording in the past. I use an Apogee Duet 2 and it has a very hard time driving the Q701's. More recently, I picked up a pair of Grado PS500's. They are easier to drive but I can't help but think I would get better sound from a headphone amp.

Tried the E7/E9 combo first. This seemed promising but at low volume I could hear this annoying, intermittent hiss. Don't know if I got a lemon but chalked it up to poor quality...

Next I tried the HiFiMan EF2A. Nice enough tube sound, but terrible balance at low volume and a hiss of its own. It's now going back...

I've looked at Little Dots, Fubars, even some of the Schiit line. My space is limited, USB would be great to have and I will spend up to $500 for an amp with outs to drive my powered speakers. Any good suggestions that would be a winner with the Grados?

Maybe I'm making an uneducated statement here, but the PS500's straight into my iPod Classic sound cleaner and better than what I have heard so far. On the plus side, I have a E11 that sounds pretty good for portable use...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back