In search for a great pair of $100 headphones!
Dec 20, 2002 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Psionicist

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

First of all, excuse me for my poor English.

You have heard this several times before, and you will definitely hear it thousands of times in the future; please help this ignorant computer geek in his search for the Ultimate Headphone... Or wait; there ain't no such thing as the ultimate headphone - that I can afford, that is. Anyhow, as simple as that, I need some serious help to find a pair of cans that fit my needs. There are hundreds of different headphones out there and it's pretty darn confusing for a hifi-newbie like me. Anyhow, I have this small amount of money that I'll gladly exchange for a nice pair of headphones; with that funny little feeling afterwards that I did the better deal. Simply put, I am searching for gear with a good price/performance-ratio. I would rather not pay more than $100, but if there's something really good for $120, it's fine.

To the technical stuff: I only listen to music from my computer, mostly MP3s with a bit rate of 128-260kbps. I will hook these phones to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard (manufactured by Videologic as Sonic Fury in Europe).

I listen to all kinds of music, although mostly: [relaxed, soft and laid-back tunes] / [orchestral arrangements] / [piano-pieces] / [electronic music]. For example; "The Rock"-soundtrack, all sorts of classical music (for the record, I love the piano-version of "Canon", by Pachelbel), and remixes of video game music (not exactly techno or trance or whatever you name it, but electronic music nonetheless). However, and note however, I also listen to other kinds as well, like jazz, sometimes (rarely) heavy music (is "Paradise city" by Guns and Roses considered heavy these days?). I also quite enjoy modern Swedish folk music.
I have a pretty broad taste of music. However, with that said, I would rather have really, really good quality when I play my orchestral arrangements and electronic music than Guns & Roses, if you know what I mean. I don't really know if this is to any help, but then I don't know anything at all about music hardware except for soundcards.

I listen to music around 5-6 hours per day, so I'm looking for something comfortable. I think I'm looking for an open headphone because I have more or less sensitive ears. Not that I cannot listen to 100db (or whatever) music, nor that I cannot handle a mighty bassline, however I wouldn't feel comfortable with sonic preassure against my ears.

Unfortunately, most headphones are more expansive in Sweden than in US, here's a small table of comparison:
Beyerdynamic DT531: $95
Philips HD890: $55
Grado SR-60: $95
Sennheiser HD580 Precision: $200 (I think Sennheiser is cheaper in Sweden actually).

Any recommendations?

Dec 20, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 19
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about the wallet!!! (Standard greeting.))

As to which headphone sounds the best for your use, try checking out the web site here and see what they have to say about various sets of them:

Head Room

Since you won't be using an amp, make sure to stick with those choices that say they can be driven without one!!

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the reply my friend!

I have narrowed down to a few here...

Sennheiser HD-590 ($200)
I can afford these. Technically, I can afford even more expansive headphones. The question is if I'm ready to pay that much for cans. I don't really think so. However, if these are REALLY good, I may consider it.

Philips HP890 ($60)
Probably not as good as the above, but cheaper.
smily_headphones1.gif

Beyerdynamic DT531 ($95)
I have heard that these feel a little "plasty" (or whatever, like plastic), and I don't really like that. On the other hand, I've heard they are pretty good too.

AKG K240 M ($130)

Or something like that. Ideas?

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 19
I almost forgot to ask: since you are getting these where you live, how much would it be to import them to you?? I ask as I have gotten several pairs of headphones from overseas and never paid customs or taxes on them yet. But, if you have to pay a lot for them, stay with what you can get locally!!

Let me know as there are some much better headphones out there in your price range if you're willing to import them. Not to mention cheaper also!!!!!

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
I almost forgot to ask: since you are getting these where you live, how much would it be to import them to you?? I ask as I have gotten several pairs of headphones from overseas and never paid customs or taxes on them yet. But, if you have to pay a lot for them, stay with what you can get locally!!

Let me know as there are some much better headphones out there in your price range if you're willing to import them. Not to mention cheaper also!!!!!

That might be a pretty good idea, however I believe shipping will be quite expansive, say around $30 overseas.

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Psionicist
That might be a pretty good idea, however I believe shipping will be quite expansive, say around $30 overseas.

But still cheaper in most cases then buying these headphones where you live!!!

If import taxes are low or reasonalbe, that might change everything in your decision making!!!!

Dec 21, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 19
for the price, the HP890s probably can not be beat for computer use. if they are going for $55 new, what are the chances that you can find a used set for $30? and the dt531 is supposed to be a really good set of headphones (some say even better than the dt831s). what is the impedance of the dt531s?

Dec 21, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Philips HP890 ($60)
Probably not as good as the above, but cheaper.
smily_headphones1.gif

Beyerdynamic DT531 ($95)
I have heard that these feel a little "plasty" (or whatever, like plastic), and I don't really like that. On the other hand, I've heard they are pretty good too.

I haven't heard the DT531, but many people I trust on Head-Fi like it a lot, better than the other Beyer's I've heard that I all liked much better than the HP890. If that's true, then I would argue that the extra $30 is well worth it.

Dec 21, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 19
The DT531 is easily better sounding than the HP890, also smaller, lighter and more comfortable.

While they are 250ohms, they actually work fine without amplification, but they do improve with amplification. I'm happy to use the 531 either with or without, it sounds great either way
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 19
Ahh, sounds great (heh), then I'll go for the DT531.

Thanks for all replies, you guys have been really helpful!
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 19
while i havent heard the 531, i dont think my hp890 is that good at all, even to the point where i like my cheap little ksc-35 just as much (but different) sonically, but i use the koss because they are so much smaller and lighter. i think the 531 is the right choice.

Dec 21, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 19
Pinkster - the KSC-35 is far superior to the HP890, in fact it's superior to a lot of headphones out there
smily_headphones1.gif

The problem is some people find clipons uncomfortable and the KSC-35 is discontinued which makes it rather difficult to find
frown.gif

Dec 21, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 19
I think I'm going to find myself on the DT531 bandwagon pretty soon too.. sounds like a great deal for the price. Hopefully lini and Snufkin won't be the only people talking about them come a few weeks from now
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard (manufactured by Videologic as Sonic Fury in Europe).

Completely off-topic I know, but thanks for the heads up on this Psionicist... I'll have to look out for a Sonic Fury now
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

As to the 'phones you can get... hmm, having got the Beyer DT250s, and having previously owned the DT311, I can say that I like their sound, so I'll agree (although unheard) with the opinions of others here, with the DT531s
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Completely off-topic I know, but thanks for the heads up on this Psionicist... I'll have to look out for a Sonic Fury now
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

As to the 'phones you can get... hmm, having got the Beyer DT250s, and having previously owned the DT311, I can say that I like their sound, so I'll agree (although unheard) with the opinions of others here, with the DT531s
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad to help you! The soundcard is amazing for the price, both in sound quality and the drivers. It's the most stable soundcard I've ever owned, no lock-ups/bluescreens, no conflicts. Nothing. But then it's not a Creative-card either...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back