In search for a flexible solution... (home, work and on the fly)
May 25, 2015 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

creal

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

as the title suggests I'am in search for a portable headphone amp which fits my everyday life.
I know there is no jack of all trades device out there but maybe some of you could guide me into
the right direction for a specific dac/amp.

Sooo, how does my daily usage look like:

@work:
Smartphone/Tablet -> DAC/amp -> UE TF10

@outdoors:
Smartphone -> DAC/amp -> UE TF10

@home
desktop/laptop -> mpd -> alsa -(bit perfect)-> DAC -> M-stage BD DT-880 (600 Ohm)

As you can see I would use the device at home almost solely as a DAC in front of my computer.
The DAC used right now is pretty bad (it's the DAC inside the M-stage) and sounds veild compared
to other solutions I have available.

My sound preference: neutral sound (shouldn't be too warm) with a tight base and clear vocals. Since
my right ear is screwed (everything above 5 khz is a mystery for my right side) I'am not as sensitive
for discrepancies up above the freq. range.

I don't want to spend over 200€ for the device, therefore neat solutions like the new Oppo HA-2 are
off radar. Another interesting device, the D-Zero MK2 from iBasso is basically non-available in germany.
At the moment my focus lies on the E17k but I'am hesitant to take the plunge since there is the still the
E18 around. I read extensively about both devices, but I'am still not certain if the E17k or the E18
would fit my needs, and especially my sound preferences, more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back