In puirsuit of Closed, Fun/Colourful Headphones in between $200-350 range
Feb 16, 2017 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Leiker535

Head-Fier
Hi, it has been a while since I've posted here. I have almost retired from the audiophile scenario because of college related stuff, but now I'm looking forward to a new upgrade in my setup. I'm looking for a non-monitor/neutral type of HPs, mostly because this is the type of signature that I am most used to and because I already am satisfied with my AKG Q701. I've always owned open-air HPs, so I'm eager to try closed cans with a fun and colourful sound that benefit from this. Apart from the Q701, which is by far my favourite, I own a SS HD600, which is, unfortunately, gathering dust beside me since I've bought the AKG's(I preffer the Q701s sound in almost every aspect :/), I've owned a pair of Beyers DT880(600Ohm edition), which I disliked a bit for being too sibilant and not anything else(I have a set of Xiaomi Hybrids here, for example, and they are sibilant, but they pump the mids at the same time, so they become fun/vibrant rather than annoying or tiresome).

I'm sorry if this was confusing: in short, I'm looking for a set of HPs, between below $350(in euros would be best, as Im buying them in Portugal) that have a vibrant, unique and fun sound signature, something that differs from what I'm used to listen and that does not try to compete in sounding with what I already own(this was the case for the HD600, the Q701 and the DT880), so I can use both for different experiences.

I`ll drive these with an MRT Music Streamer II DAC(external), and a Little Dot MKIII with warm-driven driver tubes. Here is a summary of what I look for:

1. Maximum target price: 350 euros (say 380 dollars)

1. Portability: don't care, I will use them at home or on field/family trips. I have/use IEMs for commuting and the like
  3. Amplification: It would be nice if they could run well out of a normal receiver or cellphone, but its not obligatory.

1. Headphone Type: closed-back, over-ear if possible.

1. Sound quality/signature: Anything that distances itself from neutral or monitor-like HPs. I`m not fond of extremely bassy headphones, since I dont listen to eletronic music, but I don`t mind punching bass. Mids are a big plus for me, but I can sacrifice them for a nice V shaped set, though. The higs are a big plus, but only if they come forward with other frequencies.

1. Type of target music: Ranging from indie folk and rock to rap and classical. The only type of music that I tend to not listen too much is eletronic genres, such as trance, dubstep, etc.

So far I've looked into the Sennheiser Momentum's 2.0, Sony MDR-1R's, ATH-M50x's and B&W P7's(wired). The two latter being the ones that interested me the most, ultimately the P7's, since I can easily get them at a store, but I'm quite afraid that they are too similar to my AKG Q701, so they'll end up competing my attention.

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 3
What your looking for is the TH-X00's. They are a bit over budget but I think that would do it. The M2's are decent and the M50's I thought the bass was a bit muddy to me. The others I have not heard so no comment there. The Nad HP 50's tend to be more neutral with good bass. The Meze 99 Classics would fit the bill but out of budget as for the HE-400S's not a lot of bass but really good headphones or the Phillips X2's.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 3
What your looking for is the TH-X00's. They are a bit over budget but I think that would do it. The M2's are decent and the M50's I thought the bass was a bit muddy to me. The others I have not heard so no comment there. The Nad HP 50's tend to be more neutral with good bass. The Meze 99 Classics would fit the bill but out of budget as for the HE-400S's not a lot of bass but really good headphones or the Phillips X2's.

Unfortunately availability is going to be a problem with the TH-X00's, since I'll be buying them over amazon.es or some store in Portugal(mainly Fnac), and they are only sold on Massdrop. The Meze's are also non-existent over the stores I've sought, they are only sold on amazon.uk or in France, both of which would take too long to arrive :frowning2:. The only ones I can buy are the HE-400s' and the M2's.

About the Nad's, I think they compare with the B&W's, I've seen one guy comparing them, but ending up preferring the HP 50's because of the bass. My fear is that both of them are too similar to my previous phones, especially in the case of the Hifiman's and the Philips's, don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back