in praise of the Stealth
Feb 20, 2006 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
I've owned the Stealth for quite some time now (years) and spent most of the day tube rolling the input tube.
No matter what tube I put in (6 different ones for over 20 mins each), the Stealth shone and never failed to amaze.
My favorites today were an Amperex Bugle Boy (Holland), an RCA White Label Black Plate and a Sylvania Grey Plate that I can't even identify anymore (forgot: maybe I'll post a pic to see if someone can help w/ an ID. 5695 maybe? Gold pins).
What I think I really learned today is that I love the Meridian sound and that no matter what tube I rolled into the Stealth, I could change it but I couln't screw it up. When I switched to vinyl late in the day, I found that some of my records are incredible relative to CD and a few really suck. That's not really a revelation but the extended tube experiment was; I'd never really spent so much time w/ different tubes and the same music.
The Stealth and Meridian are two pieces of gear I really enjoy even more now than when I first bought them and have no intention of replacing. (The Von Schweikerts can stay too; today was a speaker day).
CPW

Feb 20, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 12
I have a Stealth on loan from a generous headfier. It is a beautiful piece of equipment. At the moment I am using it as a headphone amp and preamp. I am using it as a preamp for my KGSS. The gain on the KGSS is too low. For speakers, I use an intergrated so there is no opportunity to use the preamp. Using the Stealth has breathed new life into the KGSS. The Stealth is a wonderful sounding headphone amp, although I've been spending some quality time with my HE60's.

I am sending the Stealth to Chicago so Ray can make a few changes.

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi guys, I hate to interupt this thread like this, but can one of you tell me what the Stealth uses as its volume pot?

Sorry again for the thread hi-jack!

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Hi guys, I hate to interupt this thread like this, but can one of you tell me what the Stealth uses as its volume pot?

Sorry again for the thread hi-jack!

DACT stereo attenuator. (stepped attenuator).
CPW

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
DACT stereo attenuator. (stepped attenuator).
CPW

Thank You Sir!

Feb 22, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Tyrion mentioned changes. What does it involve and what effect does it have on sound?

You would have to ask Ray for the details. I know that when it's complete you can only use 12AU7 tubes in the driver position. I believe it is supposed to give it a warmer sound.

Feb 22, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 12
hmm fuzzy...
rs1smile.gif

Well when you get it back I look forward to your impressions on it.

Feb 22, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

hmm fuzzy...
rs1smile.gif

Well when you get it back I look forward to your impressions on it.

I haven't sent it out yet. I've been using it as a preamp for the KGSS. The gain is too low. I probably should pack it up and send it out tomorrow. I can use the Raptor as a preamp for the KGSS, it worked well at the meet.

Feb 22, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I haven't sent it out yet. I've been using it as a preamp for the KGSS. The gain is too low. I probably should pack it up and send it out tomorrow. I can use the Raptor as a preamp for the KGSS, it worked well at the meet.

I was just wondering if the stealth is modified to have a more warmer sound than what it currently is and you are using it as a pre-amp for the kgss/he60 combo I wonder if you will hear it as well throught htat combo giving it a little more refined sound? What do you think?

Also whether this warmth would transport to a speaker setup or a dynamic headphone setup. My thinking is that it would??

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

I was just wondering if the stealth is modified to have a more warmer sound than what it currently is and you are using it as a pre-amp for the kgss/he60 combo I wonder if you will hear it as well throught htat combo giving it a little more refined sound? What do you think?

Also whether this warmth would transport to a speaker setup or a dynamic headphone setup. My thinking is that it would??

Best to ask Ray on this. I've heard that the mod optimizes the amp for the 12au7 and (maybe a separate mod) improves the HP section for low z cans. The same mod apparently warms up the sound for Senns a bit. I haven't had mine done cuz I can't bear to be w/out it for any period of time!
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back