In praise of the PX100s + a question
Sep 21, 2004 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bahamaman

1000+ Head-Fier
The more I listen to them, the more I become convinced that the Sennheiser PX100s are an outstanding value. Since beginning this adventure toward poverty, I have owned at least a half dozen (mostly closed) headphones. Through it all, the PX's have endured. They're light, convenient for travel, durable, and, most of all, have a really fine, transparent sound that works especially well for the lighter music I listen to. Unlike some opinions I have read, I haven't found them to be bass heavy (not surprising, since my source is the bass-shy iPod).

I am beginning to wonder whether a part of my enjoyment stems from their open design. Family considerations have, in the past, dictated that I use only closed phones. But this is changing, and I am now able to consider an open phone for home use.

My question is this: given my love of the PX100's sound signature and especially its transparency, would I like something higher up the Sennheiser food chain? I'm especially intrigued by the 595. Any thoughts? Alternatives?

Price limit is $250. I have a cmoy and will upgrade to either a Supermono or SR-71 within a couple of months. I listen to all kinds of music, primarily rock, country and jazz.

Sep 21, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 20
Open cans in general have a different sound from most closed cans. My ATH-A900 will never sound exactly like an open can, despite how open they might seem in producing sound.

I don't know if HD595s are necessarily the "right" choice just because they're open and made by sennheiser. Even sennheisers have different sounds.

Have you tried other open headphones?

What do you like?

Sep 21, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 20
The only other open cans I've tried were the Beyer DT880s, but it was very early on in this quest and I never had them properly amped. At the time, I felt they were way too tame and, frankly, a bit boring. I realize now that that conclusion was perhaps unfair, given the lack of a suitable amplifier.

Thanks for your interest and help crazyfrenchman27.

Sep 21, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 20
You should find a head-fi meet and audition a lot of cans...

Alternatively, if you live in a larger city, you could call around to find an audio store which allows you to audition cans.

I haven't tried the HD595s, but from what I've heard I don't think they'd be a poor selection for you (punchy bass, detailed mids, etc.)

The DT880s are kind of like the HD580/HD600/HD650...even with a good amp I think they'd be a little boring for you.

Try on some Grados, if you can.

Sep 21, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 20
Sennheiser's PX100s rock. Unfortunately, there isn't much else in the Sennheiser lineup that can compare to its innovative design and unique sound signature. You'll have to consider other headphones. It is really unique in that regard. I am glad that I ordered them from HeadRoom Corporation. I wouldn't trade them for another pair of cans for under $50 USD.

Sep 21, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 20
Agree with Welly Wu ^ ^. I like them much more than the Koss PPs. Grado SR60s are a step up, but only a slight one.

I don't know how the HD555s/HD595s compare to them, but the rest of the Sennheiser line is distinctly different.

I'm laughing now...quite appropriately, I was listening to PX-100s when I wrote the previous two posts.
280smile.gif

Sep 21, 2004 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 20
I have both, the PX-100s and the HD595s, for me the sound is quite similiar, with very obvious differences in details and deep and controllated bass, also the mids sound much more naturally, im not saying that the PX100 are bad in those aspects they are fine, but when you listen to the HD595s you listen those differences and you really say waooo
smily_headphones1.gif
. The HD595s in an amazing can, i have heard things with this headphone that i havent heard before.

Sep 22, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 20
Humm, I might just have to get a pair of these, since I really don't like my ER6s, I don't really have a portable set of phones, Can't take my a900s with me
smily_headphones1.gif
So how much sound do these phones leak? To much for work?

Sep 22, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
The only other open cans I've tried were the Beyer DT880s, but it was very early on in this quest and I never had them properly amped. At the time, I felt they were way too tame and, frankly, a bit boring. I realize now that that conclusion was perhaps unfair, given the lack of a suitable amplifier.

Well the DT880 and HD580/600/650 will sound boring without a good amp and great source, IME. They definitely don't sound boring in my current rig.

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 20
Iron_Dreamer - I didn't intend to be critical of the 880s - I was new to this hobby when I owned them and lacked a proper set-up to do them justice.

vanillawafer - I'm listening to my PX100s now, sitting at the computer just outside the bedroom of our two-year-old toddler and, trust me, there is insufficient leakage to disturb his blissful reverie. Admittedly, I'm listening at a moderate volume but, even if I remove them, it isn't enough to be a problem.

I take them to work frequently and find their openness to be nice - not too much leakage but enough "leaks in" so I can hear the phone. Don't you hate when work gets in the way of great music?
icon10.gif

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 20
All this positive news is encouraging. I just ordered the Px-100's to give them a try as a possible replacement to my Shure e2c's. I like the sound of the e2c's a lot, but find them to be more a pain in day-to-day usage. Sometimes I just wanna throw things on without even thinking about it. I hope I like the px-100's.

Sep 22, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
vanillawafer - I'm listening to my PX100s now, sitting at the computer just outside the bedroom of our two-year-old toddler and, trust me, there is insufficient leakage to disturb his blissful reverie. Admittedly, I'm listening at a moderate volume but, even if I remove them, it isn't enough to be a problem.

I take them to work frequently and find their openness to be nice - not too much leakage but enough "leaks in" so I can hear the phone. Don't you hate when work gets in the way of great music?
icon10.gif

Nice, I just might have to buy a pair. Yes, I love listening to music at work, but I find it way to bothersome to mess with ER6s at work, I can still hear the phone ring with ER6s in, but it's a real pain to take them in and out when I need to go to the bathroom about 40 times after drinking 2 pots of coffee in the AM
smily_headphones1.gif
Finding cans for work is really hard, I love the a900s (man these are great cans), but I just can't seem to muster up the courage to wear them at work, non musical types just don't understand
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back