In need of two pairs of chiapish IEM/earbuds
Dec 14, 2009 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ZeNmAc

100+ Head-Fier
So I need to do some Christmas shopping...

The first pair needs to be earbuds. They'll be used for audiobooks and occasionally music, but nothing too serious. They're for my mom, and she uses the stock ipod earbuds but finds them uncomfortable. She doesn't like IEM's. Basically, they need to be comfortable, and sound at least decent. I've read the pk3's are good, but they're a little expensive not that I'd have a problem spending that much, I just don't think she would appreciate them that much.

The second pair is for my sister. She just broke some jvc fx66, so she's been using some cheap skullcandy ones. Unlike my mom she really likes IEM's. She listens to alternative/rock/pop for the most part.
Just from a quick search RE2's caught my eye, M6's and M11's as well.

Budget: I'd like to keep them around $30 each, maybe less for the earbuds. I'd be willing to spend a little more (~$40) for the IEM's though.

Thanks for the help
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Under $30 there really isn't much variation in earphone fit (and sound) to be honest. The Sennheiser MX760 are pretty highly rated (though i wasn't particularly impressed) and can be had for around $30. Maybe something like the MX75 twist-to-fit will be more comfortable though. I'm currently using the EarPollution Flow (yes, taboo on head-fi) and they aren't half bad for the $20 they cost and have the extra bonus of being customizable looks-wise. Slapped some foam covers on them and they've been comfortable for the past four hours or so. Build quality could be better but... they're $20.

As for IEMs, I highly recommend the M6 if your sister can handle the over-the-ear fit. After the FX66 and Skullcandy buds the RE2 will sound shockingly bass-anemic. Plus the M6s look great in person.

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for IEMs, I highly recommend the M6 if your sister can handle the over-the-ear fit. After the FX66 and Skullcandy buds the RE2 will sound shockingly bass-anemic. Plus the M6s look great in person.

Yea, I am kind of worried about the fit of the M6's. I was thinking about the M11's for that reason. I read your review, and from that it seems the M11 aren't as good.

Are these the new version?

*edit* oh and how is the comfort of the pk3's compared to the normal <$30 stuff?

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeNmAc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I am kind of worried about the fit of the M6's. I was thinking about the M11's for that reason. I read your review, and from that it seems the M11 aren't as good.

Are these the new version?

*edit* oh and how is the comfort of the pk3's compared to the normal <$30 stuff?

The pictures aren't of the new version but the old ones should be phased out by now. I'd either email overstock/meelec before hand or buy directly from Meelec with the coupon code if I was going for the red/black ones. The clear ones are all new version.

PK3s are pretty standard earbuds. Not too big, pretty light. I really don't notice fit differences between all of the conventional buds.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pictures aren't of the new version but the old ones should be phased out by now. I'd either email overstock/meelec before hand or buy directly from Meelec with the coupon code if I was going for the red/black ones. The clear ones are all new version.

PK3s are pretty standard earbuds. Not too big, pretty light. I really don't notice fit differences between all of the conventional buds.

Ok, thanks. I think I'll just go with the clear ones then, they actually look really good IMO, hope she thinks so too
tongue.gif
I'm about to go with the M6's, are there any others to consider in the price range?

:/ I'm really confused about the earbuds now. I don't know if getting ones with foam will be any better than the stock ipod ones. Her compaint was that they are big and press on her ears after a while. I can't really think of anything more comfortable than earbuds besides circumaurals
confused.gif

I saw these recommended, but I don't know if they're and more comfortable as far as size. I may just pick up some jvc gumys :/ Any more ideas? I will look at those senns too.

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 8
For earbuds, I would recommend AKG K313. Cheap, deep basses, detailed sound and very very comfortable (for an earbud, I mean). They're open, so people around you may hear your music as good and loud as you and of course zero isolation...

For IEMs, follow the advice of ljokerl!

Dec 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 8
I suggest easier to get/replace solutions:

Mom: Sony MDR-829V -- $15 on Amazon.com, with good volume control built in, and handy carry case. (PK3 is a bit smaller in the ear, but it's $40+.)

Sister: NuForce NE-6 -- $40 on Amazon.com - very lively IEMs.

Keeps you under your $60 limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back