In need of some of your expert advice (new setup with but with a budget).
Mar 18, 2012 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

iPaintCode

100+ Head-Fier
Hey fellow Head-Fi'rs, long time reader first time poster. I would love your thoughts and expertise on a new can + amp setup. that would work within my budget (I would like to stay within 500-600 dollars-sh). A little quick history; Back around 2007 I bought a pair of use HD600's, picked up a super cheap amp (I admit it was one of those Altoids amp) and used that combo till early 2011. Me and the family moved and you can guess it, headphones and amp were never found in the boxes. Over the time I've kind of picked up a few headphones here and there, I picked up a pair of AIAIAI from a co-worker for a crazy super deal but never was really keen on them as they are kind of a one trick pony (though I love the style and build of them, just not remotely close to the 600s in sound).

I've been to a few local shops (not very close to my house) and sadly some didn't have many headphones setup for demoing. One dealer had Grado's but only had 60/80s looked up and had to preorder the others. So having a nice Apple gift card I ended up picking up some B&W headphones (silly impulse buy) and they were so-so but ended up show how breaking then and still haven't send them out for replacement. My favorite style of headhones are over-the-ear and prefer to have closed since I would be taken them to work daily. I'm totally open for suggestions as I know there are some very smart people around these neck of the woods. So here is a recap:

1. Trying to say in a 5-600 budget for both)
2. Closed over-the-hear or even open (but the work issue).
3. Using my MacBook Pro as source (I know I know I know).
4. Would be bringing them to work with me a lot. ( Eyeing the bithead for portability).
5. I'm a sucker for good design and must have a quality build.
6. My music taste is very eclectic (from Jazz to Rock to Electronic to Ambient, though live recordings).
7. On-ear my be an option but in-ear is definitely not, as me and in-ear never liked each other.

And suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks again!

Added (I would like to try something other then the Sennheisers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back