In need of some guidance - To DAP or Not To DAP?
Dec 31, 2010 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

parlophone

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

This is my very first real post on this forum (the first fake one being "Hello" on the S:flo giveaway thread) so please be gentle!  I was gifted ER-4Ps 3 years ago for my birthday.  I enjoyed the sound of them and how they could drown out outside noise as well.  I recently took the plunge after relentlessly reading about Grados and ordered a set of MS-2 Alessandros.

My next step probably lies in my sources.  To realize these MS-2's true potential, I figured I would need to upgrade another component. I have a hand-me-down Sony Vaio laptop (model number VGN-NS290J) which just has an "integrated sound card" - I suspect this is nothing to write home about.  As for portability, I have an Iphone 3GS that I've been playing ALAC files from.

Not wanting to spend a boatload of money into this new-found hobby, I wanted to get your opinion on what I should do:

1. iPhone 3Gs + portable amp/dac - something like D4 Mamba.  ->  This is one option, but then I don't really want to hinder my iPhone's actual phone function.  Plus, I tend to play a lot of games on that thing on the subway.

1. D4 Mamba hooked up to my laptop?  I recently started using FOOBAR and ripping CDs in FLAC (as I heard that is best for lostless-ness), but I don't know if that amp/DAC combo would provide for really great results if my soundcard is junk?  I don't foresee myself getting a new computer or laptop anytime soon.

1. Buy a new DAP (like a HM-601 because I read it's musical and I like a somewhat warm signature) or any other DAP you might recommend.  I am throwing this one out there because the HM-601 is supposed to be a standalone player so I could drive my ER-4Ps no problem, but it would be able to drive my MS-2s without an amp.  I read Grados/Alessandros are low-impedance headphones and easy to drive.

For all the above options, I would be using them at home or in the office.  If I only had to buy ONE budget-conscious component for now (one DAP OR one amp/DAC combo), which one should I go with and why?  My budget would be no more than $300.

Thanks in advance and thanks for reading my spiel!

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Apple may have a large following, yet those people are played into buying them.

Laptops may cause transportation problems

Hifiman, purely just play audio, with great quality.

But for someone looking, and starting to get into it, buy a Cowon

For under $300 you can:
Wait and buy a Cowon d3 (check threads here) that might come out Jan 20th. This would be the best player you can buy aside from hifiman (because it does everything)

Buy a s9/j3. s9 32gb for $200 and a j3 8gb for $200
S9 is the older version, but still great
J9 is a update with expandable memory, better battery, new design

Buy a sansa clip, rockbox it, and buy a amp with a good interconnect

I'm waiting for the d3, to replace my zune hd, but if you want a player to play music, Cowon s9/j3 would be the best bet.

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 4
Is this rig going to be used at home, on-the-go, or both? Also, are you willing to put up with awkward UIs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back