In need of sage advice
Dec 1, 2015 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tone-deaf

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm a non-audiophile hunting for a closed back, completely around ear, sub $50 headphones, and I have no idea which is the best! This will be my first pair of headphones and I hope to be able to listen to them for hours of studying or while CADing. I'm not super picky, but I would love advice, and anything you pros in my opinion can offer would be much appreciated,

thank you!!!

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 6
If you can stretch your budget the noontec ZORO II HD is excellent. It is an on-ear closed back headphone. It has a neutral sound with even bass, midrange, and good treble. It is comfortable, but because it is on-ear it may bother your ears after a while.

http://www.noontec.com/html/au/article_read_278.html

The Sennheiser HD429 would also be an good sounding option.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear-headphones-ambient-noise-isolation-hd-429

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 6
Take a look at the Koss ProDJ100.  They're around 50 bucks on Amazon and I've only heard good things about them.  My friend has some and I've only been able to listen to them once, and I thought they sounded great, but the thing that impressed me the most was the build quality.  They're pretty much solid aluminum, which I never would have expected at the price point.  They're also closed back, so they would be good for studying even with some noise. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 6
I'll take a look, thanks! Another friend recently got a pair of Sentey Ls-4430 Thorx headphones that he absolutely loves, so I'm starting to lean towards those, as for the $40 price they really can't be best in my mind!

Thanks, and I recommend that you check out these Sentey's!

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 6
  Hi! I'm a non-audiophile hunting for a closed back, completely around ear, sub $50 headphones, and I have no idea which is the best! This will be my first pair of headphones and I hope to be able to listen to them for hours of studying or while CADing. I'm not super picky, but I would love advice, and anything you pros in my opinion can offer would be much appreciated,

thank you!!!

Around the ear(circumaural) closed headphones tend to make ears overheat, especially when used indoors or in warm weather. They are good for use outdoors when it is cold out, instead of using ear muffs. For some people like me, the overheating ears problems occurs quite quickly, while for others it might take half an hour or more before their ears get uncomfortable hot. For this reason, IEMs(in the ear isolating earphones) have become very popular for use when people want sound isolation(and hopefully when it is safe to have sound isolation).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back