In need of noise cancelling headphones with a microphone
Jan 7, 2010 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blackaural

New Head-Fier
Hello:

I am looking for headphones that I can use to listen to music, plug into my guitar amp, and talk to people over the internet. Some of the PC headsets I find on the internet have "noise cancelling mics." However, I have yet to find any that have noise cancelling, over-the-ear style headphones. Do you know of any? Thanks for your input.

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 5
You really don't want to get a headset. They are usually bad quality in terms of build and sound. Get a pair of headphones and an external mic. May I ask why you have to have noise cancellation?

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 5
I'd suggest the Sennheiser HMD 280-13 that I use. The HMD 280-13 are not noise cancelling but they have very good isolation. Sennheiser also makes noise cancelling headsets if that is what you really want.

In my experience external mics used in headset applications are awkward at best.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really don't want to get a headset. They are usually bad quality in terms of build and sound. Get a pair of headphones and an external mic. May I ask why you have to have noise cancellation?

Really, the main thing I plan to do is to use them for listen to songs in order to learn the songs. I need them to be noise cancelling so that I can block out background noise--this will help me make out the notes better. I want a mic so that, in addition to these activities, I can talk to people over the internet. Additionally, I may, from time to time, use them to mute my amp.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 5
A difficult combination to find, other than poor-sounding headsets. Remember that noise-cancelling introduces its own tonality (and noise) to the music, which would likely defeat your making out of notes as you say you need.
What about a good pair of IEMS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back