In need of new headpones
Apr 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MrLlamaBro

New Head-Fier
Hello all and welcome to my first post!

I realy want to get some new headphones but don't want to pay over $200. I've been looking at the Ultrasone hfi-580's but I;veheard a lot of mixed reviews so I'm not entirely sure. I have also looked at Sennheiser HD series. I really, really don't want Beats because they are so darn expensive and I haven't heard the best about them. If you experts and bros can recommend me a good pair than I will be happy. And yes there are tons of typos in here but I am way too lazy to fix them. :p

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 17
Just some more info incase you guys need it.

I will mainly be listening to Rock, Dubstep, and Classical (yeah I listen to classical get at me)

As my sister stole my ipod I have lately been listening to music on my computer but hope to get my ipod back soon enough.

If you need other info just comment in the below section

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
I really want to get some new headphones but don't want to pay over $200. I've been looking at the Ultrasone hfi-580's, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, so I'm not entirely sure. I have also looked at Sennheiser HD series. I really, really don't want Beats because they are so darn expensive and I haven't heard the best about them. If you experts and bros can recommend me a good pair than I will be happy. And yes there are tons of typos in here but I am way too lazy to fix them. :p

It might help if we knew what source(s) your plugging the headphones onto?

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 17
The HFI580/DJ1 is a great headphone for bass heavy music.  I personally enjoy listening to it, but the clamping does get to me after a while.  The Senn HD598 is a great all rounder, but tends to fall a bit short on dubstep... especially when up against the 580. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
The HFI580/DJ1 is a great headphone for bass heavy music.  I personally enjoy listening to it, but the clamping does get to me after a while.  The Senn HD598 is a great all rounder, but tends to fall a bit short on dubstep... especially when up against the 580. 

When you say the clamping gets to you, do you mean its too hard and hurts your head or its not hard enough and they fall off? I think I'm going to go with the 580's. Would you recomend I get a fiio to go with it? Sorry I'm completely new to the high end headphone world.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
When you say the clamping gets to you, do you mean its too hard and hurts your head or its not hard enough and they fall off? I think I'm going to go with the 580's. Would you recomend I get a fiio to go with it? Sorry I'm completely new to the high end headphone world.

The 580 clamps a bit hard. Enough to notice, but oddly, even after an hour, not enough to hurt (as far as my experience has borne out)

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 17
My Grados are unbelievably comfortable. I really don't understand people who say they "hurt". It's very simple to adjust them to where you won't even know they're on your head. A pair like the SR80s is extremely light and comfortable. The only thing I can see being bothersome is the pads can be scratchy out of the box, but all you need to do is toss them in with your next load of laundry and the problem is solved.

I have a pair of Ultrasones, and I'm sure you'll be happy with the 580s...I was looking at that pair very closely, as well. The Fiio E11 is a great little amp.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 17
^ It's not as simple as stretching them out or adjusting them after wearing. Our heads differ in shape, size; our ears differ in both and in the way they stick out. That your Grados are comfy for you is great, but they never worked out for me, and evidently, Mega Mushroom has had the same experience.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 17
While the HFI-580 are quite good with electronica and bass emphasized music in general, they're not ideal for classical. The HFI-780 might be a better option for that, although there is a slight bass trade off.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
^ It's not as simple as stretching them out or adjusting them after wearing. Our heads differ in shape, size; our ears differ in both and in the way they stick out. That your Grados are comfy for you is great, but they never worked out for me, and evidently, Mega Mushroom has had the same experience.

So you tried stretching the band and washing the ear pads? I'm 6'2 and built like an NFL lineman. My head is probably about as big as anyone elses head. It's one thing to say you preferred another headphone, but to say they "hurt" just seems a bit over dramatic to me. But anyway, the point is moot since the OP is looking in a different direction. I just know that I almost listened to this sort of thing about Grados and I almost didn't give them a chance. Most of the criticisms I heard ended up not being true in my case at all.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 17
No, I didn't wash them, but I did try to stretch them out. I'm not saying comfort is something that people should only read about; I am saying that comfort is a personal thing, and just as your positive experience with the fit of Grados doesn't change my negative one, so too should negative experiences not affect positive ones. Fit, more than sound signature, is very subjective and hard to predict. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #15 of 17
There's nothing wrong with not liking the comfort of a particular set of headphones. I didn't like the way the Sennheiser 518s felt either, and like you did with the Grados, I sold them. My issue is more with the way people describe things. I've read several accounts of people not preferring Grados because the pads were scratchy, or because they liked something else more. But this is the first time I saw someone complain that they "hurt", and I think that's the sort of term that can cause someone, especially a newbie, to rule out a particular headphone (or in this case possibly an entire line of headphones) before they've even heard them. I know in my situation, I would have really missed out on a great experience if I'd put just a little more weight on the several negative comments like yours that I had come across early on in my time here. Turns  out there is a huge, massive following of Grado lovers that I've come across, but in the first few weeks I spent here I just had the misfortune of seeing a handful of negative posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back