In need of new full size portables
Jan 17, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 27
How 'bout a full size foldable?
The Ultrasone HFI-650 is on sale for 70 euros here (originally a 200+ euro headphone).
It punches as much thunderous bass as you can (but probably can't) handle.

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #17 of 27
Double post
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #18 of 27
Please describe the Ultrasone HFI-650. How did it sound to your ears and what is your opinion on the HFI-650?

My MDR V6-es are full size foldable, if I had two pairs one pair would be used for the outdoors.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #19 of 27
How about a recabled HFI 780. For about $400 you can get one from Moon Audio or elsewhere and they sound great! Get the cable for around 4 feet, and away you go. The HD 25 I II isn't exactly full sizded, but a great portable nonetheless.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a recabled HFI 780. For about $400 you can get one from Moon Audio or elsewhere and they sound great! Get the cable for around 4 feet, and away you go. The HD 25 I II isn't exactly full sizded, but a great portable nonetheless.

+1! Also, ALO audio. I've heard the ALO 780 are amazing.

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please describe the Ultrasone HFI-650. How did it sound to your ears and what is your opinion on the HFI-650?

My MDR V6-es are full size foldable, if I had two pairs one pair would be used for the outdoors.

Check this review:On Sound and Music: A Journal of Pro and High-End Audio and other things that Matter

Directly to ipod they sound HUGE. When I connect them through my Fiio E5, I do not use the loudness (EQ) switch because it gets too much bass. Nevertheless, it never distorts or "rattles". Despite the bass level, it is always under control.

It is very forgiving to mp3s as long as they're decent (192+).
I mostly use them connected to my 1820m and I really like them. They are light and they isolate well for a can their size (they're closed) and they play really loud without need for amplification. So far, I have not met anyone who hasn't liked them, even when they were three time as expensive as today.

edit*
I just noticed you were in Netherlands. Check it here:ULTRASONE HFI-650 - Dutch International Cyberstore

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #22 of 27
I am very much tempted. I would almost curse... How could I have been missing these headphones?!

I've done some research and have made the following temporarily shortlist:
1. Sennheiser HD201, coupled with one or two Fiio E5s I can save up for something better;
2. Sony MDR V6/7506, coupled with one or two Fiio E5s my ears and wallet will be happy;
3. Shure 440, coupled with one or two Fiio E5s I might discover a gem of a headset;
4. Ultrasone HFI 550/650, coupled with one or two Fiio E5s I might discover a gem of a headset.

In the near future I'll buy a serious amplifier plus maybe a DAC. Any comments, suggestions? I haven't bought anything yet.

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #24 of 27
I'd seriously consider the Sennheiser HD-25-1 II. Amazing portable cans.

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #25 of 27
I could score a second hand pair for a good price, still I'm not sure with which Sennheiser to start. I prefer to start cheap, HD201 and upgrade if I want more of the Sennheiser sound.

Sennheisers confuse me. I opted for the HD4x8-series but I didn't like what I read.

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangermouse2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats wrong with the creative's bass, maybe modding or an amp would help? Or for your budget Audio Technica m50s are worth a look.

Echoing this recommendation. M50s are budget kings and if your budget (and they sure do) allows go go them. They should be exactly what you are looking for -- good for all genres of music, balanced, detailed, but still packing a bass punch. They are also low resistance and do not need an amp. The only downside is it's pretty big so it's not the most portable set -- but they still fold up nicely and go into a bag easily.

If you find the M50s are too big then I can recommend the NuForce UF30 instead, which also has a bassy sound. It's a little recessed in the mids and highs but still have good detail, they work great with all genres I've used them for but are not my first choice for certain genres (I prefer Grados or Ultimate Ears for rock for instance). Of coures they are easy to drive without an amp and are very portable.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #27 of 27
Today I've just bought a Sennheiser HD428. It's on my head right now and my 128kbps WMAs on my Nokia 6303 sounds more than O.K. Volume is on half now. The cable, well it needs extra protection for it's like Twiggy, skinny!

I might still opt for a RX700.

The HD428 will be burned in from this moment on. I'm now playing K-os' third album 'Atlantis Hymns For Disco' for it's quite eclectic and pop at the same time.

Update: I've posted an impression of the Creative Aurvana Live! versus the Sennheiser HD428 in the full size headphone section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back