In need of guidance
Nov 4, 2004 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Erik S.

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there!

I'm somewhat new to this board (much reading, no posting) and I need some guidance in choosing a new headset.

I mainly listen to rock and metal, therefore I want cans that ROCK
orphsmile.gif

I've already auditioned these cans:

Grado SR 125
AKG K271S

Overall I liked the Grados but with one exception, they were way to bright and completely ruined any of my live recordings. And the retailprice being $400 here in Norway
eek.gif

The guy in the store recomended me the AKG K271s as rockcans... they sounded good coming right out of the box but something was missing in the bass (but they have wonderful deep bass). Maybe it would get better after burn in??
confused.gif

The source when I tested these cans were harman/kardon avr 230 and I had to crank it up quite a notch to get decent volume on the AKGs.

The source i will use for the chosen headset is AV710 and probably an amp (don't know which one yet, recomend me one
tongue.gif
)

Pricerange without amp: ~$200

Hope you can guide me down the right path
280smile.gif

Regards

Erik S.

Nov 4, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 9
Sennheiser HD25-1's.

Amazing. Solid and forthright presentation. Excellent detail. Fantastic bass. Closed design so good isolation too....

Nov 4, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 9
Alessandro MS1, if you can. Grado sound, but less bright, more neutral. Cheaper too.

Nov 4, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for your recomendation Kirosia!

Been thinking of Alessandro MS1, seems like they got a great reputation around here. Is it worth the money to upgrade to MS2 or is an amp with the MS1 prefered?

Nov 4, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 9
I think the MS2 would be a better upgrade than the MS1 + amp, I had the sr-325 and it was much better (amped and unamped) than the MS1. The MS2 should do ya fine.Of course, MS2 + amp would be real good if you can afford it.
biggrin.gif
(Also, add senn/flats pads if you want a lot of bass)

Nov 4, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 9
The HD25-1 is a good option if you need a unamped portable closed pair of cans, but if you don't need the portability/isolation then the MS1 will provide better sound. However, if you found the SR125 "way too bright" and the K271S lacking in bass, then the HD25-1 might provide a tonal signature you might like, since it's relatively dark sounding. In terms of fidelity though, it doesn't match up to other cans in its price range IMO.
On the same coin, if you'll be using an amp, I think the Beyerdynamic DT250-250 is an excellent choice for your tastes. It leans on the "dark side" of tonal signature as well, but has good extension and rocks well. It would be preferable to the HD25 if you'll be getting an amp.

Nov 4, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for all your recommendations. I really appreciate it
orphsmile.gif

Will audition the cans tomorrow and hopefully i will come home with a smile on my face or
biggrin.gif

Kyrie: is the DT250-80 any different than DT250-250 in sound? They only got DT250-80 here. And what amp would you recommend?

Kirosia: amp for MS2?

People on this forum is really helpful, so glad i found it
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back