In Need of Good Earbuds!
May 19, 2002 at 7:56 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

I can't imagine why you would think any of the other earbuds would look more fasionable. If that's your concern, I'm sure you can find some pretty horrid sounded Aiwa earbuds that will fit your style.

"Fashion" may be an inapproriate term here, but I can understand the idea. I bought a pair of JVC Victor clip ons in Japan that sound very good, but I don't wear them outdoors because they really look absurd on me. I saw men with full heads of hair wearing them in Japan, and they looked swell. I knew their quality was fairly high, so I bought them. But I have extremely close-cropped hair and a freakishly large head (well, that's my perception). The clip ons stand out from my head and just look preposterous.

In the same way I rarely wear my beloved Beyers outdoors because an already large head just draws attention to itself with a crown on it.

Sometimes I just want to hear them, and then appearances be damned. But I don't dismiss the idea that people might not want to trade off looking freakish to have good sound. For most outdoor use you can't do much better than buds, and if they're Etymotics, Sony MDR-e888's or a number of others, you don't have to sacrifice audio quality.

DGI

May 19, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #17 of 33
What I am getting to is that it was a pity that he judged a product before knowing what it could do, and it seems that he has spent money unnecessarily on features he doesn't need...

May 19, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
What I am getting to is that it was a pity that he judged a product before knowing what it could do, and it seems that he has spent money unnecessarily on features he doesn't need...

Now, who here *hasn't* heard that before!?!?

May 19, 2002 at 9:47 PM Post #19 of 33
Yo, MagicBoy, look at nezer's sig for how he does mp3's... that is much more ideal..... you could have gotten a 6 gb pjb100, or an ipod....

Like,

Exact Audio Copy to
Lame --r3mix -b32 -B 320 to
PJB100 w/ 6 gb drive to
Etymotic ER6's or to
Koss KSC-35

Would have been cool... that would have shown what the ER6's could do a LOT more.... as would an iPod... and don't always assume that, by sticking the ER6's in deeply, you get the best seal. Have no preconcieved notions about the quality of the Ety's, and try, by trial and error, to find what SOUNDS best.... for some, it takes a month of experimenting, of letting them stay in your ear (so the tips AND your ears adjust to each other!), and THEN, suddenly, they will have incredible, etherial sound....

May 19, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #20 of 33
Uh...you know, I don't even understand half those terms you just used...
confused.gif

May 19, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #21 of 33
EXACT AUDIO COPY: a ripping program to rip wav's from cd's

LAME: An encoder to change wav's to mp3's. the -- stuff are settings

PJB100: A qualty mp3 jukebox that actually has good osund quality. This has many different amounts of hard drive space. the smallest, 6 gb, would be plenty for you. Hell, A 256 meg would be plenty for you!

May 20, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #23 of 33
Well, I gave him a basic 101 on LAME, Razorlame, Exact Audio Copy, the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Coolplayer, and the usefullness of having a well-rounded and high quality audio chain.... hell, he never even used his highest fidelity speaker system, the MX500's, with his sound card. He'll have to get a headphone extension cable, to see how much that sound card REALLY hisses!

I also identified with him one stereo minisystem, one dvd player, and one digital audio reciever in his house, from which he can listen to cd's. He had never listened to CD's from something like that before... and he should do it tomorrow. Hopefully, if any of those sources are good enough, he should get SOMETHING of an idea of what he is missing....

May 20, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

i wish everyone on the net knew about encoding mp3's with LAME gluegun.....it would make my listening life easier when searching winmx and such.....

I have used EAC and LAME r3mix. This was a major pain in the butt. I now use Musicmatch Jukebox set to VBR 86%. When I trim with MP3 TRIM I get a channel mode error, but MP3 Trim fixes that. I did some extensive A-B listening to the mp3 files and the original CD. Musicmatch and LAME were so close to the same that I couldn't tell the difference.
To the point of this thread, I find find the ETY's very comfortable. Sony ex70 sound very dark and bass heavy to me. As far as true earbuds go I have only heard the Rio branded ones that came with the SP250 and the SlimX. They sound like crap.

May 20, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD

I have used EAC and LAME r3mix. This was a major pain in the butt. I now use Musicmatch Jukebox set to VBR 86%.

The Lame's settings can be set within EAC, all you have to do after is just point and click, easier than Musicmatch. When you become fussy, you can vary the Lame setting via EAC to your liking. In fact you have a lot of options to tailor with the type of music you listen to, more than you can music match with.
tongue.gif

With EAC, you can store all the information of the CD once which helps alot when you ripped it later with different Lame settings.

May 20, 2002 at 11:27 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Actually Aiwa makes some very good earbuds and an alternative to the MX 500. I got ED 400 some time ago and am still very happy with them, especially after moding them to remove the silicon cushions. To me they're the flattest sounding earbuds I've ever heard- not bad for about 17 USD.
Sorry if your experience differs, or you just picked Aiwa as a brand name without having heard them?.

I just picked the name. I could've have said JVC or Philips or any 'insert name here' brand. So, I wasn't slamming Aiwa's buds; I was just using an example and meant no harm. I've never heard them so I wouldn't seriously say anything against them until I've had experience with them. Anyway, I've had Aiwa equipment before and still do, and it's worked for me as well. They were my first choice when I was looking for a non-expensive three piece stereo system.

May 20, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by FrostyMMB

I just picked the name. I could've have said JVC or Philips or any 'insert name here' brand. So, I wasn't slamming Aiwa's buds; I was just using an example and meant no harm. I've never heard them so I wouldn't seriously say anything against them until I've had experience with them. Anyway, I've had Aiwa equipment before and still do, and it's worked for me as well. They were my first choice when I was looking for a non-expensive three piece stereo system.

Ok, I see.

May 20, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #28 of 33
i think duncan and i must have been seperated at birth, although he seems to have a strange bias against the d777 pcdp
wink.gif
. perhaps all those listening sessions with the volume set to "10" have ruined his hearing?
evil_smiley.gif
i too am a v6 fan, and keep coming back to them, especially after adding a cha47 amp. i am pretty much all portable when it comes to headphones. when i sit down to listen i use speakers.

anyway, here's how i rate my earbud collection (best to worst):
er-6
e888 (modified)
ex70 (modified)
e848
koss plugh

note: the er-6 really blows the sonys out of the water. the koss plugh just blows.

May 20, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #29 of 33
I just got these from Audio Cubes on Friday. There's a complete review by yours truly on the MiniDisc T-Board.

I find these new Aiwa buds outperfom the MDR-E888's in just about every area, and I predict they'll become the "new" favourite once some more people get them in their ears...

May 20, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
i think duncan and i must have been seperated at birth, although he seems to have a strange bias against the d777 pcdp
wink.gif
. perhaps all those listening sessions with the volume set to "10" have ruined his hearing?
evil_smiley.gif

lol Red, you get me wrong...

Yes, the D777 IS a good player, undoubtedly better than 90+% of all PCDPs ever made... heck, I loved the thing for the best part of 6 if not 7 years... its just that the E905 is that little bit better to push the ratio up to 98+% (imo of course
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back