In need of an upgrade for my beloved HD650s
Jul 8, 2014 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MajesticFreak

New Head-Fier
Right now I'm currently running a HeadRoom Micro amp from my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card via RCA to drive my oh so wonderful HD650s. I've had this amp since 2009 and now I'm wanting to upgrade as of late. 

I primarily use my HD650s for music, gaming and watching videos such as YouTube and Blu Ray. The music genres that most frequent my ear drums is Metal and EDM, but not partial to other genres such as jazz, classical, hip-hop, etc.

I've seen reviews on Schiit, Woo Audio, and O2, but I'm curious to hear what you guys suggest. I'm not looking to break my wallet, but I don't want to cheap out on some semi-decent amps/dacs. I guess my budget is around $600 for both an amp and dac for now, but please do give price/performance on components that may exceed my budget. Also, I'm looking to get some bookshelf speakers that can also be driven by an amp/dac combo for my guitar sessions as well.

Any and all thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 10
save some money and end up with the best out there.  get an 02 amp and objective dac.  I've been through thousands of dollars of equipment and eventually gave it all up  for this combo and never looked back.

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 10
DACport lx + Bottlehead Crack. Add speedball to crack if you're willing to go slightly over budget.

I heard about Bottlehead Crack with the Speedball upgrade. I'm not a big DIYer when it comes to amps/dacs as I have no experience, yet.

I'm still considering my options, but I have determined that I want to go tube amp as the next step along with a high quality dac. So far my eyes are gearing towards Schiit's Valhalla 2 and Bifrost combo. I really liked the Valhalla's ability to add connectivity to monitors as I plan on doing so in the future. If another amp can accomplish this, I'm all ears. I also could just downgrade to the Vali, but I like the ability to tube roll with the Valhalla 2 if I so desire.

I've also have come across the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus Dac as an all in one solution without breaking the wallet. Also, the Woo Audio WA6 and WA7 Firefly has caught my eye, but the asking price is staggering.

I'm also wondering if I should rid myself of the STX as I don't use any of the features for gaming. The HD650s already brings out the audio in games such as Battlefield 3 without the virtual effects. I'm not completely sure, but someone in a forum of this website or another said that you can still use the effects by running a S/PDIF from the sound card to the DAC. Is that true or possible with that connection or another?

Thanks for the feedback/ suggestions so far!

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Apparently the crack is quite an easy build, with extremely good instructions. Most people build it have never diy'd before. If you're nervous about it, grab some wire and practice.

From what I've read, it seems that The Crack is on a much higher level than the Valhalla as far as performance is concerned.

It is true that you can use gaming features on the stx by connecting through optical, but if you don't use the features, what's the point?

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 10
Apparently the crack is quite an easy build, with extremely good instructions. Most people build it have never diy'd before. If you're nervous about it, grab some wire and practice.

From what I've read, it seems that The Crack is on a much higher level than the Valhalla as far as performance is concerned.

It is true that you can use gaming features on the stx by connecting through optical, but if you don't use the features, what's the point?

It never hurts to try to DIY. As for now I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Bifrost (stock). I'm trying to find out if the Uber analog upgrade is worth it, but I've had limited success in hearing honest reviews so far. Starting off from stock seems the logical approach as with incremental upgrades over time could show differences as my tastes may evolve. I don't see any other DACs out there that are catching my attention that includes optical/coaxial with RCA besides Bifrost. Running the Bifrost via optical from my STX card to the HeadRoom Micro Amp should be very interesting. It saves me $$$ upgrading to the USB input.

As far as Amps are concerned, I could save money and go with the Vali for a low cost tube experience, but I see myself upgrading a lot sooner to a full blown tube amp like Valhalla 2 and Bottlehead Crack. I've also heard about the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil from Schiit so that's something to look into as well .

I'm also interested in seeing how my Audio Technica M50s work with the Micro and Bifrost as well.

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 10
NuForce HDP (or one of the newer models like the Icon DAC)  pairs very well with the HDP.

Centrance DACmini is also excellent but twice the price.

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 10
  NuForce HDP (or one of the newer models like the Icon DAC)  pairs very well with the HDP.

Centrance DACmini is also excellent but twice the price.

Thanks for the recommendation but I've already pulled the trigger on the Bifrost with the Uber Analog Upgrade.

I'm now researching on an amp that will compliment the bifrost/HD650s. So far I've narrowed it down to the Crack possibly with the speedball upgrade, Valhalla 2, and Lyr 2. With this amp upgrade I'm considering another set of headphones so the headphone purchase alone will greatly determine my amp upgrade. I'd probably have to start a new thread on that upgrade alone for suggestions/recommendations.

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 10
I am glad you decided to go with the uber. Without the upgrade, Bifrost is not worth it in my opinion. If you are going to buy another set of cans, decide whether you are going with orthodynamic first. The crack will not drive orthos adequately, but if you will stick with dynamic drivers, the crack is usually an amazing value.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 10
I am glad you decided to go with the uber. Without the upgrade, Bifrost is not worth it in my opinion. If you are going to buy another set of cans, decide whether you are going with orthodynamic first. The crack will not drive orthos adequately, but if you will stick with dynamic drivers, the crack is usually an amazing value.

Thanks for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back