In need of advice
Jan 9, 2006 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

epion2985

Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade my headphones and I have grown a bit tiered of the mainstream junk, think its time to get a decent set of cans
tongue.gif

I am not sure if open or closed is what I want. I have been looking at the ATH-A900LTD and the ATH-AD900 (or something in the same price range). I am actualy pretty excited about getting a set of A900LTD's but my only worry is comfort. I will probbaly be wearing these for 10 hours at a time. Do closed air cans get your ears hot after a while? Just need a little advice.

thanks
580smile.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by epion2985
I am looking to upgrade my headphones and I have grown a bit tiered of the mainstream junk, think its time to get a decent set of cans
tongue.gif

I am not sure if open or closed is what I want. I have been looking at the ATH-A900LTD and the ATH-AD900 (or something in the same price range). I am actualy pretty excited about getting a set of A900LTD's but my only worry is comfort. I will probbaly be wearing these for 10 hours at a time. Do closed air cans get your ears hot after a while? Just need a little advice.

thanks
580smile.gif

ATH-Axxxx series is rated amongst the most comfortable. I imagine the open air cans would be better for 10 hours straight but I'm not speaking from experience. That is just from what I've heard.

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 13
The material of the earpads also influences whether the headphone becomes hot. I see people complaining of sweat with pleather pads.

The size of the headphone also plays a part. I personally found bigger full-size headphones warmer (e.g., HD595) than smaller portable ones (PX100). I rotate to a smaller headphone if I get uncomfortably warm.

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by epion2985
tongue.gif

thanks
580smile.gif

Yes closed does get warm after a while. The AD900 (open air) sounds like a good option. Beyerdynamic DT 880 is also very comfortable.

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the input guys. Warm as in warm or hot? I dont mind my ears being warm, just as long as its not excessive. Sound quality and isolation wise the A900's seem like a great choise, if I could be comfortable in them for 7-10 hours that would rock my world but I guess you cant have everything
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #7 of 13
I recal the a900's getting warm after a few hours. the pleatehr didnt bother me too much but my ears did sweat a little ( a drop of sweat rolling downt the inside of your ear is the weirdest feeling!)

the beyer DT770 has velour pads which have never made me sweat though they get toasty after an hour or two.

No problems at all with grado's

wore some sony d-66 eggo's for about an hour and didnt get any noticable increase in temp.

I'd immagine anything in the sennheiser 5xx or 6xx series would have the same effect of the beyers (though less so because they're open?)

if not audio technica makes an ADxxxx series of heaphones which are open versions of the Axxx series

Jan 9, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Yes closed does get warm after a while. The AD900 (open air) sounds like a good option. Beyerdynamic DT 880 is also very comfortable.

DT880 gets pretty warm after awhile too, though... the foam inside the cups is thick and insulates the ears. Occasionally I will take mine off due to ear sweats (good to get a break anyway, they are lively headphones and offer no immunity to sonic fatigue).

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 13
Note the A900LTD isolate very well while as I understand it the K701 are essentially open. That means to me that it would not isolate very well at all, maybe a muffle.

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 13
I think any full-size headphones that you wear for an extremely long listening sessions will make your ears warm. I owned the A900s for about a year and a half and found them to be very comfortable. At most, I would wear them for three to four hours. During those long periods, I would on occasion take them off every so often. I never broke a sweat, but my ears after an hour or so would get somehow clammy and warm. I found the pleather comfortable, but would have preferred leather because it probably would have breathed better. In all, the A900s are a very comfortable headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back