In need of advice for selecting a good pair of headphones!
Sep 23, 2014 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AustinS

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have been looking to get a pair of headphones with great sound quality for the price, but have been hesitant because of all of the options there are. I do not, however, posses a lot of knowledge about headphones nor do I have a trained ear for discerning small differences between them, so this is why I need help. I know that I am most likely going to want a pair of over the ear headphones/closed ear headphones. I plan on using these with my phone for listening to music, and at least half of the kind of music I listen to is bass-heavy (e.d.m. and etc.) so it would be ideal if the headphones have nice sounding bass. I am looking to buy a pair that aren't too expensive (maybe around the $100-$150 price range), and I am also looking into buying one of those portable amps for headphones that you can use with your phone to improve sound quality (but one with a low price as well). Two companies that have stood out to me a bit are Sennheiser and Vmoda.  So after reading this, does anyone have any suggestions that total below $200? Thank you for reading.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Audio Technica M50 are great for the price. 

http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411526265&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 7
Wow, those do seem like a pretty nice pair of headphones. Would a portable amplifier such as:

http://www.amazon.ca/E6-Portable-Audio-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411619507&sr=1-1&keywords=portable+headphone+amplifier

be worth it?

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 7
Thank you, those look nice. I am curious, however, what are the difference between those and the m50x studio monitor headphones other than the studio monitor headphones are about $20 cheaper? Also would buying the FiiO Kilimanjaro2 E11K Portable Headphone Amplifier be worth it?

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 7
  Thank you, those look nice. I am curious, however, what are the difference between those and the m50x studio monitor headphones other than the studio monitor headphones are about $20 cheaper? Also would buying the FiiO Kilimanjaro2 E11K Portable Headphone Amplifier be worth it?

You mean M50X vs M50?  The M50X has a detachable cable, and the treble is supposed to be a bit less harsh.  Any of them along with the M50S and even M40X should be a good choice for you.  All of these are easy to drive and don't necessarily have to be amped, though I imagine the E11K will still be somewhat beneficial.  

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 7
I didn't link what I was talking about because it would need approval, but if you go to Amazon and type in m50x studio monitor headphones you will find a pair for $169.99. There is a pair on Amazon that just says m50x professional headphones, but they are $189.99. I was wondering what the difference between these were, because there was none that I could find.

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 7
I didn't link what I was talking about because it would need approval, but if you go to Amazon and type in m50x studio monitor headphones you will find a pair for $169.99. There is a pair on Amazon that just says m50x professional headphones, but they are $189.99. I was wondering what the difference between these were, because there was none that I could find.

The only difference between M50X models is color scheme, so definitely get the cheaper one.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back