In need of a new list for Modular cable earphones
Jan 1, 2013 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

roylee

New Head-Fier
Though modular cables aren't that popular, they serve the purpose for someone like myself who often stores the audio player in the shirt/jacket/pants pockets.  Nowadays with bluetooth devices such as the Sony MW500 or the Samsung HS3000, having a short modular cable is very convenient compare to a 4' long cable.  I've read a lot of reviews and done a lot of digging of modular earphones with the similar sound signature as the Shure SE530 & SE310.  Recently, I bought a pair of HiFiMan RE-262 and a pair of RE-272 after reading so many reviews.  Unfortunately, the modular cable of RE-262 & RE-272 have TRRS plugs which required them to be used with the 2' long adapter cable and totally defeat the entire purpose of modular cable.  So, they're not true modular at all. Besides that, I think I've used the RE-262 for about maybe around 40hrs only to discovered the sound quality is still not as good as the Shure SE310 in the vocal sense.  I'm a pretty disappointed with this.  It might not have been the amp problem because I listened to music with my Samsung P6800 tablet and a 2009 Macbook air.  The RE-272 box has not been opened.  After reading all of the praises about the mids of RE-262, I'm quite disappointed with the output.  There's slight sibilance in RE-262, bass is good, the vocal is good but doesn't come to life like the Shure SE310/SE530.

Preference:  non-sibilant, poor base, vocal/mid-centric, good instrumental separation.  

The list so far for the top end $100+:

TDK BA100
TDK BA200
HiFiMan RE-262 (not true modular)
HiFiMan RE-272 (not true modular)
Shure SE210
Shure SE310
Shure SE420
Shure SE530

List for earphones under $100:

Audio-Technica ATH-CKM99
MEElectronic SPORT-FI S6
Denon AH-C360
Denon AH-C710
JAYS t-JAYS Three
JAYS q-JAYS
Shure SE110

Hopefully, there are more options for a pair of mid-centric earphones with modular cable or I would have to one buy back the Shure SE310/SE530 or two cut up the 4' cable and solder it to a right angle 3.5mm plug.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Hmm. Could get a removable cable headphone, and put a modular cable on?

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 5
to me I believe the BA200 would most likely fit the bill... if you can accept the large splitter, that is

IMO it is of a perfect length to connect to those wireless headsets and does not need a TRRS adapter of any sort

And IMO, it does fit your description quite well... bass is not particularly impactful but of good quality, mids are excellent, not exactly forward but has the ability to isolate and bring out the vocals, treble is slightly laid back but will come out when called for, and i feel it is not sibilant

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 5
to me I believe the BA200 would most likely fit the bill... if you can accept the large splitter, that is
IMO it is of a perfect length to connect to those wireless headsets and does not need a TRRS adapter of any sort
And IMO, it does fit your description quite well... bass is not particularly impactful but of good quality, mids are excellent, not exactly forward but has the ability to isolate and bring out the vocals, treble is slightly laid back but will come out when called for, and i feel it is not sibilant

My first impression of the TDK BA200 was that they looked weird.  Maybe the 1st photo on Amazon didn't do them justice.  On totallydubbed, the reviewer had a picture posted with the BA200 in his ear.  The earphone seemed to be sticking out of his left ear a lot.  Were you able to lie down on your side with them on?

My RE272 came today.  After burning in for a few hours, I was't able wait any longer.  The instrumental separation was incredible!  The mids were just a bit less than the RE262.  I think I'm going to stick with the RE272 for a while with a rubber-band tying up the extra lengthy cable.  

Hmm. Could get a removable cable headphone, and put a modular cable on?

I've tried looking into this option for the Shure SE535 earphones but didn't have any luck with the search on google.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 5
  My first impression of the TDK BA200 was that they looked weird.  Maybe the 1st photo on Amazon didn't do them justice.  On totallydubbed, the reviewer had a picture posted with the BA200 in his ear.  The earphone seemed to be sticking out of his left ear a lot.  Were you able to lie down on your side with them on?

My RE272 came today.  After burning in for a few hours, I was't able wait any longer.  The instrumental separation was incredible!  The mids were just a bit less than the RE262.  I think I'm going to stick with the RE272 for a while with a rubber-band tying up the extra lengthy cable.  

I've tried looking into this option for the Shure SE535 earphones but didn't have any luck with the search on google.  

I slept with them a few times, so pretty much a non-issue

Fit is pretty much the same as the Westone Trufit series

Users who are viewing this thread

Back