In Need Of a Earphone best canal type for Zen Vision:M
Apr 14, 2006 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Noback

Head-Fier
NO idea wich earphone to buy o.O
My genre is Metal rock best if headphone has heavy bass
orphsmile.gif

Apr 14, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 7
have you tryed the eq setttings on the vision M. i have one too and the eq settings really let you tune to what you may like. i have the e4s that i just bought, by shure, and they sound great with the vision m. great bass for most stuff and messing with the eq just a bit can give added umph to most songs that need it. but if you want literal deafening bass, i hear the e5s are great for that. ask around

Edd

Apr 14, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 7
If you're new to this forum and haven't read its pages for a long time, I share some information: reply #1 was a joke, and reply #2 concerns things called IEMs, and discusses $200-$400 earphones.

What's your budget? Is it small, like $25, or do you have money set to buy something expensive? Also, some pointers:

Earphone-Too general. I'm assuming you mean an earbud, like those that come with your Creative. In that case, the Sennheiser MX 400/500 is one of the best. Like all earbuds, they're not too good at all.

IEM-"In-Ear Monitor". A canalphone that isolates very well (to the extent that you can't hear cars coming...perhaps TOO well), but does so by using sleeves and such to act like an earplug; you may not like the comfort, and a lot of people don't (although I do). They also sound much better than earbuds, but generally don't compare with full-sized headphones in terms of impact (especially bass) and soundstage (how you perceive the "space" in the music and the recording, e.g. a symphony orchestra spread all around you, in a very good headphone). The cheapest "true IEMs" are the Shure E2C, Etymotic Er-6i, and Ultimate Ears super.fi pro 3, all $75-100. For a cheaper taste of an IEM, you can get a Creative EP-630 or a Sennheiser CX-300, but they're not as good or isolating as those mentioned above.

I don't listen to much heavy metal, so I can't comment on a choice. But of the above "true IEMs", the Shure has the most "fun", bass-heavy sound, and the Etymotic is more detailed and clinical; the UE falls in the middle.

Oh, and: Sorry About Your Wallet.
580smile.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 7
the ER6i's have nice detail and come at a good price but you said you like heavy bass, so i would suggest go for something else.

you didn't state how much you wanted to spend, but E4C's sound similar to the ER6i's but have better bass response

i haven't heard them, but many people the UE Super fi 5 have really nice bass

Apr 15, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 7
There are many IEMs out there--it would help to tell us how much you want to spend. As a "starter" IEM, I always recommend the ER-6i--great detail for around 90 bucks. But there are other IEMs that can be had for about the same amount of cash. The E2c seems to be liked among bassheads. The UM1 seems to respond well to some eq'ing. And there's the im716 which people have been suggesting as a step up from the ER-6i (and I would tend to agree).

If you want to step it up to the 200 buck range, then consider the E4, super.fi 5 pro, and ER-4p/s. The E4 gets described as the most balanced of the bunch. The super.fi 5 as the "fun" choice--good bass response. And the ER-4p/s as perhaps analytical and treble favoring.

These are all subjective categorizations of course. However, it gives you an idea of the range of IEMs out there.

Apr 15, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 7
The E5C's sounded very full and mate well with the ZVM but I'm waiting on the E500's. Pre-order is in and I'm simply waiting. Yeah, somewhat foolish to buy without hearing but from all I've read, they sound like just the ticket. Personally, I'd shy away from custom IEM's as they are a bit too "permanent" for a fickle guy like myself. So there it is...if funds permit, I'd take the chance on these babies....uh, actually, I did take that chance. Go for the E500's. It's only money.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back