In need of a critique of my set-up
Sep 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

The Rino

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I'm curious as to how my set-up fairs against a more modern one or how I can improve any weak links. The following is what I'm using:

iMod 5th gen 80GB,
Pocket Dock by 'Send Station', 
Mundorf Silver/Gold in Oil Cap dock,
Jena Ultra wire interconnects with gold plated Cryo Neutrik terminations, 
The Protector by RSA,
Balanced Senn HD600's w/ Mogami Neglex 2534 quad cable.

Any suggestions for integrating my iMac as a source would be great too. I've been out of the loop for a few years and am sort of overwhelmed by the vast amount of info on here. I don't want to go crazy on the price as I feel I have already to an extent, (although I realize this is relative).

I'm concerned that my source is going to stop working (the iMod) since I use it all the time and it has the original HD from Red Wine 4+ years ago.

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Anyone?

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 7
  Ok, I'm curious as to how my set-up fairs against a more modern one or how I can improve any weak links. The following is what I'm using:

iMod 5th gen 80GB,
Pocket Dock by 'Send Station', 
Mundorf Silver/Gold in Oil Cap dock,
Jena Ultra wire interconnects with gold plated Cryo Neutrik terminations, 
The Protector by RSA,
Balanced Senn HD600's w/ Mogami Neglex 2534 quad cable.

Any suggestions for integrating my iMac as a source would be great too. I've been out of the loop for a few years and am sort of overwhelmed by the vast amount of info on here. I don't want to go crazy on the price as I feel I have already to an extent, (although I realize this is relative).

I'm concerned that my source is going to stop working (the iMod) since I use it all the time and it has the original HD from Red Wine 4+ years ago.

Good grief you've got a better set up than I do... at least until 2 weeks I get my new gear :D

that said Honestly if you are worried about your source dying, grab a iBasso DX50 and ditch the iDocks. iBasso has a Line Out function that will go straight into your amp that should sound better or at least the same as your iMod

I'm going with a hm 801 line out to iBasso PB1 to Balanced Out Dt 880 600 ohm [Balanced] or use the SE out with my Sound Magic Hp 100s 

I'm not a believer in fancy interconnectors just yet ;3 

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 7
I was looking at the HM 801 but I don't need something that big w/ an amp built in. I think I might try switching cables to Jena Labs Ultra wire. I just don't know what the single thing that I can so that will give me the biggest benefit is.

Sep 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Hmmm....tough audience

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 7
 I just don't know what the single thing that I can so that will give me the biggest benefit is.

Heya,

You're focusing too much on the 5% of your total circuit before you get to the 95% of what you're listening to. The headphone.

If you're looking for a greater benefit, you simply climb headphones. The HD600 is a fantastic headphone. Your portable setup can handle it. But if you want to go higher, you're not going to get anything but little 1% at best increments, and that's being generous, from a portable setup. You'll get some minor gains from a desktop setup, but most of it is simply going to be technical upgrades that your ears cannot really appreciate, you'll simply hear something slightly different and that's more of a preference game than an actual upgrade game. If you want obvious and clear cut gains, you simply get a newer headphone that is better and focus on driving it properly. And to continue the idea of quality, focus on getting better recorded media so that all this effort is worth while.

Very best,

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 7
I sort of figured in the back of my mind that, any future gains, no matter how small, would come at a large price. Now I just need to focus on more effective ways to appreciate what I already have. I appreciate your candor and bluntness. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back