In need of a camera !!!! about £200/$300
Jan 18, 2006 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nicola O

100+ Head-Fier
My friend is having a birthday party next week and my old digital camera is broken
frown.gif
so I need a new one if i want to take pictures at the party. I've looked around for a bit and still couldn't decide which is the best for this kind of money. Initially I wanted something small but people have told me that they can't do a lot of stuff a better camera can do, manual modes and such...is that right? I wouldn't mind getting my foot into photograph so realisticly I like to spent my money wisely to get something with as much features as possible.

I've been recommended the Canon S70, it looks ok (black is kinda sexy) and its small enough for my bag or jacket pocket i think. What do people here think of it? Unless there are others you would like to suggest. Opinions welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 12
I got a Canon SD450 for Xmas and I love it. Its small and fits in your pocket nicely. I think the picture quality is pretty good, but this is my first camera so I dont really have much to compare it too. You can find it for $300 online. I love its nice big screen.

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 12
The Kodak EasyShare cameras aren't bad either. I have one myself, which has manual controls and a decent lens. They are cheaper than the more well known Canons, Sonys, and Olympus cameras, but they're good for the money.

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 12
I have Kodak as well, 5X optical zoom is nice to have, all glass lens, pic quality is really good too, and it also has a ton of shot modes...only thing that kinda bugs me is that it has a small LCD screen compared to similarly priced cameras and there seems to bit an LCD blackout between shots that is longer than it should be...

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 12
if you want more manual features check out the canon a510 or a520. those have very good reviews on them. sorry but i don't know if it has a different name in europe.

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 12
Try the casio exilim ex-z500

160656.jpg

I got this camera for christmas and absolutely love it. It's fantastic for taking quick snaps as it comes with loads of presets, but it's also got more advanced settings if you've got time to spend making the perfect photo. The image quality is top notch, and the video is also surprisingly good.
Oh... and it's real pretty
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 12
Another vote for Canon. Although I'm gonna say go with the Powershot A610.
I bought one of these for my father last Christmas, and he loves it. I was impressed with it also. It took better color indoor shots than my Nikon 8800.
It should come in under your price limit, has 4X zoom and is 5 megapixel.
The S70 you mentioned is probably a good camera, but it only has 3X zoom, and I think sells for a bit more than you wanted to spend. Plus it takes a Canon battery, where the A610 takes the always available AA batteries. The A610 also has a swing out LCD screen which can be more useful than one initially thinks.

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Please please stick with either canon or nikon

most other brands (kodak lesser well known brands for cameras) may have the megapixels but their color is usually off. also make sure the camera yoiu get isnt one of those super slim ones with a small lens because also the image quality wont be that great.

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #12 of 12
Thanks Guys, having read lots and lots of reviews on the camera mentioned here (oooh my eyes !!!! that was a lot of reading), I have settled on the S70 with a 1G Compact Flash Card. Should be here later this week. Thanks to all the suggestions, I almost went for the A610 because I have the A70 and it look very similar.
biggrin.gif
But having the A70, I know it is a little bulky so I went with the S70 in the end.

Thanks again guys !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back