In need a closed headphone that has the sound quality of a Grado SR60
Jun 6, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 46
I think that a lot of people don't know what they're talking about, my D66's definetely have far more isolation than my A500's and the A's are closed, so the D66's have to be closed, I don't know what "semi-closed" is supposed to be, but it's definetely not eggos, maybe cd780's but eggos are closed

Jun 6, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #17 of 46
I believe MajinWu's requirement is that he not bother others (leakage), not that he is isolated from external noise. Is this right, MajinWu?

If so, how does the D66 perform in terms of leakage?

Jun 6, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #18 of 46
The D66's will do well in those regards, I have listened at good volume at school and nobody was bothered at all (couldn't even hear the sound!), they provide excellent shielding from outside noises (I was surprised how well they did, I have to take them off to talk to people)

Jun 6, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #19 of 46
Eggos are fully closed for me, if you have bigger ears then they might not cover your whole ears. They have very good isolation, you can listen at a normal listening volume or higher and no one will be able to hear the music.

The only thing i don't like about the eggos is that they are hot! It was 80 degrees here in seattle at like 2:15 when i was walking home from school (while pushing my bike with a flat tire) and when i got home it was all sweaty were the eggo pads rest.

Jun 6, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Gobd
Eggos are fully closed for me, if you have bigger ears then they might not cover your whole ears.

I see now why everyone has so much trouble recommending closed headphones.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #22 of 46
if i remember correctly..... closed headphones DOES NOT equal islation

Jun 7, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Davie
I believe MajinWu's requirement is that he not bother others (leakage), not that he is isolated from external noise. Is this right, MajinWu?

Yes! Specifically my roommate in college and others in the library. From what everybody is saying about the Eggos (some say it does not leak, some say it does a little), I think what it adds up is that people around you cant hear your music, but you can hear people trying to talk to you.

I know that V6's are more closed than the Eggos are, but from what I read so far I think V6's don't have as clean a midrange as the SR60s have. On the other hand, the Eggos' midrange is a little better. Am I correct?

Jun 7, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #25 of 46
Ahhhh! The eggos are not CLOSED! As I am looking at them right now I can see holes in their driver's casings. That my friends does not qualify as fully closed. On the other hand the V6 do not have any openings at all. And with the Grados you can see right through the casing and see the actual driver.

Also the Eggos do not isolate but simply muffles outside noises. Closed phones such as the V6 do alot better job at that than the Eggos. If you want real isolation, you will have to go to canalphones. Shure E2 or Ety ER6 are around the Eggo price range and IMO are better than the Eggos.

Jun 7, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #27 of 46
Too bad that the eggos do let in sound and leak out sound more than a good closed headphone. The bad closed phones (sound leakage-wise) like the high end Sony's and Audio Technicas are closed but do not isolate well due to their fit. However they are considered closed because they do not have any openings in their driver casings whatsoever (unless I glossed over them) unlike the Eggos. You are simply wrong.

The matter is that all phones leak out sound at high volumes, some to a lesser degree. The Sony V6 and the Sennheiser 280 do the best job at under $100. The Eggos just does an okay job.

Jun 7, 2003 at 7:07 AM Post #29 of 46
edit: POed late night post, lemme clean up my act...

They are not closed if they have openings. Closed doesn't mean circumaural. You may call them closed but just know that you are wrong and only spreading misinformation.

Jun 7, 2003 at 9:32 AM Post #30 of 46
I have Eggos, and yes they're wonderful, but they offer minimal isolation, and they do leak some sound...granted, not nearly as much as the Grado (that's like night and day). But you'll hear some sound coming out, and that could be annoying to a roomate. He needs something that's really truly closed, like the hd280 or the v6 7506.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back