In Like, In Love, In Lust...
Sep 8, 2017 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Armando Rancano

New Head-Fier
guestaccess.aspx

Once upon a time, in the land of youth and low budgets, lived a budding audiophile that sacrificed vacations, wore the same clothes day in and day out and ate no more than necessary to stay alive, all to have enough money to support an audio addiction.

It is an addiction requiring, not amends, but a very good confession, since I am truly not an audiophile by definition, at least according to a friend who owned a number of Chicago-area high-end audio stores. To wit, an audiophile is someone who owns ten records and after listening to all 10 decides it's time for new equipment. Just joking, of course, I have exactly 987 songs/works in my collection. You can find a list of favorites amongst them in the public Spotify playlist "No Voice Good Ears".

My first high-end amplifier was a Quad 405. Running Class A, it got so hot I could have cooked my morning eggs on it. My speakers were Dahlquist DQ-10’s, the preamp and turntable escape recollection. The intervening years saw Maggies powered by a Levinson No. 27 amp and good but hardly memorable preamp. turntable and, later, CD player. After all, now in my late 60's, old information has to be released to make room for the new. Otherwise, how could I explain not knowing what headphones, the closest electronics to my ears, I used during that time?

Work kept me away from music listening for a long time until about a year ago, when semi-retired I began to look for ways to pull the trick of saying goodbye to this world just as I was spending my last pennies. Returning to audiophile nirvana was the no-brainer winner of the search.

Replacing my inexpensive but serviceable Polk Audio speakers with a pair of Martin Logan Theos took some time but it was a relatively easy decision. Finding complimentary electronics was a longer journey, which continues to this day. After all, I have to stretch it until I’m out of pennies or breath.

Digging into my electronics museum in search for a better alternative for the just purchased Rotel preamp, I found a Sonic Euphoria passive preamp and a Music Hall 25.2 DAC. I proceeded to improve the latter with a 1970’s-era French tube to the tune of $175 and then ran into Burson Audio while looking to improve the OpAmp chips in the DAC.

Notwithstanding Burson's dislike for integrated circuits, I was doubtful that replacing three chips would do much to separate instruments in heavily orchestrated passages, hear ones that I had miserably failed to notice, and find bass and sonic subtleties where I thought none existed. But the OpAmps from Burson looked as sexy in their red covers as a brand-new Chevy Corvette so coveted by traffic cops looking for speeders. I went for it. After all, $200 is hardly a fortune for an audio addict on a fixed income.

“Out of the box”, as audiophile talk goes, I was happy as a clam to hear far more than what I had hoped for, so much more in fact that I figured a whole DAC and preamp made with components from Burson could just possibly hold hope for more blissful music listening.

I went for the CV2+, not just a DAC with a state-of-the-art chip, but an energy powerhouse for my rather hungry Sennheiser HD650’s, electronic and manual volume controls, and a super-sexy enclosure heavy enough to work out my aging biceps. In truth, I’m a softie for good layout and strong colors. One look at the internals of the CV2+ alone had me sold on at least hearing the unit. In this case, and it's hardly kissing and telling, beauty is not just skin deep. I guess finding circuit boards attractive is truly the mark of a weird, if not obsessive audiophile.

Delivery from Australia to beautiful Palm Springs, California was hardly uneventful. The OpAmps had been delivered on time, but waiting for CV2+ to arrive was the stuff nightmares are made of. Despite hold instructions for a station pickup, the unit was put on a delivery truck to for home delivery after its long journey first to Hong Kong and, inexplicably, detouring through Japan before proceeding to Oakland’s FedEx hub where it sat in customs for a few days. Can’t be too careful these days.

guestaccess.aspx

Fortunately, the FedEx station manager in Palm Springs took pity upon my obvious misery and had the driver come back to base with my precious cargo, placing it on my welcoming arms. I almost dropped it. The weight was unexpected for such a small unit and I knew I was not hallucinating at the gym. Credit FedEx for not prolonging my agony after their screw-up.

Well, “out-of-the-box”, the impact of the CV2+ on my audio system after a mere 48 hours of non-stop listening finally yielded the miracle I so longed for growing up a Catholic altar boy. I had stopped believing when I started college, but non-stop listening in my quite comfortable Ethan Allen recliner restored my faith in the healing powers of music beautifully reproduced. I wish such a quality recliner had been properly equipped to avoid the short breaks necessitated by bodily functions.

I swear on whatever is holy that I have not been under any mind-altering influences when I say that welcoming so many different kinds of musicians into my 13x18 living room has been a wonderful social experience. It’s absolutely remarkable how the three-piece Parker Millsap band can fit into the same space as the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. God only knows who will show up next as the unit wears in. Notice I did not say break in, it’s so misleading.

The realism the CV2+ has brought into my audio system is remarkable. I sat for years in the second row, center, first balcony at Symphony Hall in Chicago, and in a center balcony at the Lyric Opera House. Dating a music critic for some years, I have been to more live concerts of all kinds, in the best seats of many houses, than most people who are equally incapable of singing a note or playing an instrument.

I chose to skip words used by audio reviewers in this introduction/recommendation, like transparency and coloration, because the only thing that matters to me is how close music reproduction comes to my live listening experiences, at least those still remaining in my memory banks. The CV2+ has brought me so much closer that I look forward with anticipation to trying the Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso amplifier and see how it compares to my Anthem MCA 225.

I’m a sucker for another date with a small company that creates affordable, beautiful products that do such a good job of recreating reality. The ML Theos are already fantasizing a little infidelity in yet another three-way. They are naughty boys.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Great bio. I seldom reach such lengthy posts, but your photos inspired me to do just so. Looks to me as though you will be an interesting and gentlemanly contributer here. Just beware, for there are always sharks waiting to gobble you up at the first smell of blood.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 11
Great bio. I seldom reach such lengthy posts, but your photos inspired me to do just so. Looks to me as though you will be an interesting and gentlemanly contributer here. Just beware, for there are always sharks waiting to gobble you up at the first smell of blood.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it, hopefully as much as I did writing it. And thanks for the warning, sharks can be harmless if properly handled. On a blood thinner, I've had to learn :)

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 11
Welcome aboard to head-fi, Armando :). Your devotion to audio is truly awe inspiring! Makes me want to try harder myself :D. I have some good audio equipment as well, in the search of audio nirvana, but I still don't think I qualify as a true audiophile because I don't have live performance experience like you do as a baseline to compare the quality of recordings to, and my ears aren't particularly discerning either (but I can hear at least some difference between my equipment and source file quality). I just enjoy recorded music to pass the time by.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 11
Welcome aboard to head-fi, Armando :). Your devotion to audio is truly awe inspiring! Makes me want to try harder myself :D. I have some good audio equipment as well, in the search of audio nirvana, but I still don't think I qualify as a true audiophile because I don't have live performance experience like you do as a baseline to compare the quality of recordings to, and my ears aren't particularly discerning either (but I can hear at least some difference between my equipment and source file quality).
I actually try not to be an audiophile. Those people are strange. Always obsessing. A musicophile is where it's at.

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 11
Welcome aboard to head-fi, Armando :). Your devotion to audio is truly awe inspiring! Makes me want to try harder myself :D. I have some good audio equipment as well, in the search of audio nirvana, but I still don't think I qualify as a true audiophile because I don't have live performance experience like you do as a baseline to compare the quality of recordings to, and my ears aren't particularly discerning either (but I can hear at least some difference between my equipment and source file quality). I just enjoy recorded music to pass the time by.

Thanks so much. Devotion is easier in semi-retirement. So is identifying quality gear. But, so long as your ears don't hurt and you are re-energizing yourself, it's music mission accomplished.

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 11
I actually try not to be an audiophile. Those people are strange. Always obsessing. A musicophile is where it's at.

My career was spent working with dysfunctional executive teams. I had to like strange individuals to love the job for 30 years. I understand where you are coming from. I'm fascinated with how human beings are wired and like the whole spectrum of strange :) I guess I'm both an audiophile and a musicophile, the first because I'm at heart a gear head. Audio is just an extension of my passion for cars and motorcycles. The second because I truly love the varied emotions music of all kinds engender. All of which probably means I have dual personalities and would be a psychologist's wet dream :)

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 11
My career was spent working with dysfunctional executive teams. I had to like strange individuals to love the job for 30 years. I understand where you are coming from. I'm fascinated with how human beings are wired and like the whole spectrum of strange :) I guess I'm both an audiophile and a musicophile, the first because I'm at heart a gear head. Audio is just an extension of my passion for cars and motorcycles. The second because I truly love the varied emotions music of all kinds engender. All of which probably means I have dual personalities and would be a psychologist's wet dream :)
Haha. Classic.

Sep 8, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 11

Lol, I kinda let myself slide with that because I have High Functioning Autism / Aspergers. I'm doomed to be strange regardless :p (but I try to catch myself when I'm starting to fumigate obsession :angel:).

Thanks so much. Devotion is easier in semi-retirement. So is identifying quality gear. But, so long as your ears don't hurt and you are re-energizing yourself, it's music mission accomplished.

Definitely :). I tend to stay south of 85db almost all the time.to protect my precious, precious hearing :L3000:.

Very interesting, I possibly could have been one of your clients :p. I have schizoaffective disorder as well (basically bi-polar and schizophrenia together), and having mental illness truly is a dreadful curse. I'm indeed a wet dream of my psychiatrist and therapist (I'm chock full of nuts). It makes me quite (but fortunately not totally) dysfunctional, even outside of psychosis. I used to be a brilliant young man, especially in my childhood years. But as the disease progressed and eventually bloomed, it took away my brilliance, including unfortunately my ability to understand the more abstruse aspects of audiophilia. I can't believe God allows the Universe to express such an awful disease. If I were a cave-man, a sabre-toothed tiger would have long since eaten me, and if I were a contemporary of medieval times I'd be burned at the stake or tossed in the asylum, so I'm thankful that God has allowed the universe to express the anti-psychotics of modern times that work on me.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 11
Welcome @Armando Rancano. Great post! I've had friends who took the 2-channel audiophile nirvana route only to come crashing back to earth (or their senses). I've listened to some of the best setups but I'm glad I dodged a bullet by living in a condo and by extension becoming a headphone junkie. I've spent only a small amount but feel like I've been rewarded immensely as a combination of music and top quality transducers transports me away. :)

Love the Maggies, those are gold.

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 11
Welcome @Armando Rancano. Great post! I've had friends who took the 2-channel audiophile nirvana route only to come crashing back to earth (or their senses). I've listened to some of the best setups but I'm glad I dodged a bullet by living in a condo and by extension becoming a headphone junkie. I've spent only a small amount but feel like I've been rewarded immensely as a combination of music and top quality transducers transports me away. :)

Love the Maggies, those are gold.

Thanks! I'm fortunate to live in a condo with no shared walls and can play at levels I couldn't in a different situation. Nevertheless, I appreciate where you come from. There are times, when I really want to be immersed in the music, that I put on my Seenheiser's HD 650's. Plugged into the Burson CV2+ they've never sounded more realistic. With them on, the feeling of being in the middle of where the music is being made is even more intense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back