In Japan, where can i find...
Aug 24, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #16 of 31
i will check with my friend who apparently found this place that does a great sea food one.

btw every single person that has had pizza here in australia has said that pizzas in italy taste like crap and this is in some of the best eateries there.

it is much better to try out some of the other goodies that italians do make.
they have wicked pastas and some sort of dumpling that is made in northern italy
don't remember the name.

kunwar

Aug 24, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
i will check with my friend who apparently found this place that does a great sea food one.

btw every single person that has had pizza here in australia has said that pizzas in italy taste like crap and this is in some of the best eateries there.

it is much better to try out some of the other goodies that italians do make.
they have wicked pastas and some sort of dumpling that is made in northern italy
don't remember the name.

kunwar

Funnily enough, the best pizza I had in Italy was by a guy who emigrated away from the US and made it using the best of the local ingredients. It seems an authentic pizza can only be created by Americans... just as long they don't use American ingredients.

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Funnily enough, the best pizza I had in Italy was by a guy who emigrated away from the US and made it using the best of the local ingredients. It seems an authentic pizza can only be created by Americans... just as long they don't use American ingredients.

English speaking lands know nothing about food.
Their only concern is quantity. They would put ketchup even in a fruit salad.
You (english speaking people) can travel everywhere in the world, but unless you fix your taste and learn to eat, you better stick to fried bacon, burgers and chips.

I just bought my medieval armor today, let's see if it works (nukes are not allowed)
icon10.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #19 of 31
Pinkie,

for shame young man! Did you know that using puns like that can cause cancer, mental illness and birth defects? Also, you'll go blind
wink.gif

Bangraman,

I think that the main problem with American ingredients would be that food roducers in America strive for consistency above all else (besides cost of course). Flavor also often takes a back seat to things like size and appearance, so by the time you get to the stores/restaraunts you've gone through a long chain of people who don't care how the end result tastes. We do tend to pride ourselves on having the biggest of everything in America, but that's never really been my thing.

and Tuberoller, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to find out where the nearest military base is.

Aug 25, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by KtoEto
You (english speaking people) can travel everywhere in the world, but unless you fix your taste and learn to eat, you better stick to fried bacon, burgers and chips.

I just bought my medieval armor today, let's see if it works (nukes are not allowed)
icon10.gif

i don't know about UK but for sure that i didn't find american food (burgers, pastas etc) to be as tasty as chinese, korean and japanese food. oh i am not talking about sweet and sour chicken and lo mein or other bastardized asian food.

Aug 25, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

icon10.gif

Ketchup in a fruit salad? aaargh!
(I've never seen one of those yet)

Anyway, I've eaten "real italian" pizza in Ascona (Ticino). I must say, though, that while carbon adds its own special zest to any dish, in those quantities it simply doesn't work. Also, the 0.5mm thick cheese is a tinge too thin for my tastes, though I'm sure it adds to the durability of the fibrous backing so that the unit as a whole is an effective defense against most forms of close-combat weapons.

tongue.gif

For the record I'm German/Canadian and can't stand McDonalds.

Aug 25, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
Ketchup in a fruit salad? aaargh!
(I've never seen one of those yet)

Anyway, I've eaten "real italian" pizza in Ascona (Ticino). I must say, though, that while carbon adds its own special zest to any dish, in those quantities it simply doesn't work. Also, the 0.5mm thick cheese is a tinge too thin for my tastes, though I'm sure it adds to the durability of the fibrous backing so that the unit as a whole is an effective defense against most forms of close-combat weapons.

tongue.gif

For the record I'm German/Canadian and can't stand McDonalds.

Ascona is not too far from where I live (very beautiful place btw), it is a well known tourist attraction for swiss germans. The local restaurants menus have to adjust to their taste which is, to say the least, questionable.
RANT
Swiss germans (sorry mates) put ananas in their pizzas,
drink 3dl coffes that keep you awake for a week and once I even saw a swiss german dip his salami sandwich in a cappuccino (I almost threw up on the spot).
/RANT

Alimentary miseducation is widespread. And nutritional conscience usually stops at the taste buds ("if it tastes good, it's good").

Aug 25, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #24 of 31
I am lucky where I live as there are many places I can purchase fresh ingredients for all manner of cuisines from Japan ,Korea, Thailand etc.
I feel very grateful to the people of these countries for having brought their
culinary delights with them
biggrin.gif
.[who can blame them....]

I rarely eat what would be considered traditional english food. [roast beef and yorkshire puddings ..hehe]

In fact I believe the english national dish is now considered to be Curry !
If one looks at the types of 'ready meal' found in the supermarket chilled
food sections 'traditional english' is in the minority...
Pizzas still seem ever popular though.

Setmenu

Aug 25, 2004 at 11:40 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I think it was confirmed pretty recently that the unofficial national dish of the UK is now Chicken Tikka Massala.

Which in fact is NOT an indian dish, it is created by the english for the english market. you cannot find Chicken Tikka Massala in India.

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
i thought british national dish is Vegemite ?

That would be Marmite
wink.gif

Setmenu

Aug 25, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Ascona is not too far from where I live (very beautiful place btw), it is a well known tourist attraction for swiss germans. The local restaurants menus have to adjust to their taste which is, to say the least, questionable.
RANT
Swiss germans (sorry mates) put ananas in their pizzas,
drink 3dl coffes that keep you awake for a week and once I even saw a swiss german dip his salami sandwich in a cappuccino (I almost threw up on the spot).
/RANT

Alimentary miseducation is widespread. And nutritional conscience usually stops at the taste buds ("if it tastes good, it's good").

What's wrong with pineapple in a pizza?! (this seems to be one of the great debates in the world of pizza. Some people can't stand it, some don't mind it, some love it.)

And Ascona wasn't the only place with pizza like that. (I was there as part of a hiking tour of Italian Switzerland a few years ago, and eventually gave up on the pizza.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back