In itunes, settings for the "Recently Added" playlist?
Apr 7, 2009 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
How long do recently added albums stay in the "Recently Added" playlist before they are removed by Itunes?
Can I change those settings?

Lastly, when I make a playlist of whole albums and put it into my IPOD, is there any way to search through that list by album rather than just having one super long list of songs??

Thanks.

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 15
1. Click on the playlist. Pull down file menu to "edit smart playlist." You can view and change the parameters.

2. Click on the playlist. Click on the "Album" header in the list to organize the songs by album. Same for other criteria.

I strongly suggest you read the help files and experiment. There is a whole lot you can do to make your listening more enjoyable.

Mooch

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 15
Like Moocher said for better or worse iTunes has a lot of capabilities. Sometimes it is overwhelming. But honestly if you have ever wished it did something, it probably does. Some call it bloated, I call it my favorite music app. I have almost 2TB of music organized exactly how I like it.

Apr 7, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Click on the playlist. Pull down file menu to "edit smart playlist." You can view and change the parameters.

2. Click on the playlist. Click on the "Album" header in the list to organize the songs by album. Same for other criteria.

I strongly suggest you read the help files and experiment. There is a whole lot you can do to make your listening more enjoyable.

Mooch

Got it-thanks.
As for my second question, I was referring to viewing by album IN my ipod on not on itunes.
Is that possible?

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 15
YOu should be able to go to music and then enter in by either album, artist, playlist, genre etc. You may have to adjust your main menu settings but its def. possible. Also what type of ipod. The touch models are set up a little different.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YOu should be able to go to music and then enter in by either album, artist, playlist, genre etc. You may have to adjust your main menu settings but its def. possible. Also what type of ipod. The touch models are set up a little different.

I have the latest IPOD that is not a TOUCH.

heres my problem:

Ive added about ten albums to a single playlist.
When I go to view that playlist in my IPOD its one big list of songs; its not broken up by album. So, I cant view waht artists or albums I have, just songs.

I can seem to figure out a way to change this.

Would you happen to know how I could?

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

heres my problem:

When I go to view that playlist in my IPOD its one big list of songs; its not broken up by album. So, I cant view waht artists or albums I have, just songs.

I'd like to know too, I never figured that one out either, and I have all my music in separate, useful playlists based on duration of an album, but like you, all my iPod lists under those are all the single songs...

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

heres my problem:

It sounds like you need to select Artist on the iPod itself instead of Playlist. This should list all music by Artist on the iPod. You can also do this by Album. This has nothing to do with iTunes.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 15
That will def work ^. For instance the way I manage all my ipods are with playlist. For example all the music I want on my iPhone is under "16GB iPhone" (as a Playlist). I just drag and drop albums into the list as I get new music, then when I sync my phone that music goes on. Finding the stuff by album or artist is just as simple as entering the setting thru either album or artist. Going in this way you will never even know this was at one point a playlist because it will be listed by individual artist or album.

Hope that helps.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 15
I have around a dozen playlists on my 160GB iPod and I've never seen a way to see what albums or artists are in a playlist from the iPod. I think the only option is a list of the songs.

I have playlists such as recently added, recently added and unplayed, in concert, high rotation, etc. I also have playlists that are combination of other playlists. I usually shuffle by album, either in a playlist or my whole library. If I want to listen to something in particular, I drill in via artist or album.

Apr 12, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowlevelowl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like you need to select Artist on the iPod itself instead of Playlist. This should list all music by Artist on the iPod. You can also do this by Album. This has nothing to do with iTunes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That will def work ^. For instance the way I manage all my ipods are with playlist. For example all the music I want on my iPhone is under "16GB iPhone" (as a Playlist). I just drag and drop albums into the list as I get new music, then when I sync my phone that music goes on. Finding the stuff by album or artist is just as simple as entering the setting thru either album or artist. Going in this way you will never even know this was at one point a playlist because it will be listed by individual artist or album.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input but you guys are missing the point here.
I know you can search for an album or artist the point is to do that WITHIN the playlist itself.
Im not sure why APPLE doesnt have this option but it would be quite useful, especially for large playlists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have around a dozen playlists on my 160GB iPod and I've never seen a way to see what albums or artists are in a playlist from the iPod. I think the only option is a list of the songs.

Doesnt this bother you?
APPLE is such a smart company but theyve missed a variety of simplistic additions to the ipod that would make using it alot easier.
The boave issue is one and my other gripe is-why havent they put numbers next to songs??

Sometime I know I like for example the "8th" song but dont know the name off hand.
What I am forced to do is count down the list until I find it.
Putting a number before each song is an easy fix.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Doesnt this bother you?
APPLE is such a smart company but theyve missed a variety of simplistic additions to the ipod that would make using it alot easier.
The boave issue is one and my other gripe is-why havent they put numbers next to songs??

Sometime I know I like for example the "8th" song but dont know the name off hand.

It doesn't bother me that much because I normally shuffle by albums. It would be nice. I'd also like to be able to see more of the tags like track number among others.

Numbering songs in a playlist wouldn't do anything for me because I have the iPod set on shuffle. Every time I open a playlist, the songs are in a different order. I can see how that would be useful for others

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 15
Is it possible to search in Itunes for songs that I added on a particular date?

For example I type in 14.4.2009 in the search box,but it doesn't work...
Is there any other way?
And I don't mean to make a playlist,just search...

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to search in Itunes for songs that I added on a particular date?

For example I type in 14.4.2009 in the search box,but it doesn't work...
Is there any other way?
And I don't mean to make a playlist,just search...

Don't think so.
Smart Playlists work though, and you can always delete it afterwards.
* File -> New Smart Playlist...
* Date Added -> is -> 4/14/09

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Thanks for the input but you guys are missing the point here.
I know you can search for an album or artist the point is to do that WITHIN the playlist itself.
Im not sure why APPLE doesnt have this option but it would be quite useful, especially for large playlists.

Doesnt this bother you?

But as you are probably gathering from all the posts here, there aren't many people who see your "problems" as problems. For most of us, the significant powers of smart playlists provide us all the organization we want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back