In General, Tell me how you feel about TOOL:
May 13, 2006 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Im interested in finding out exactly what other people love (or hate) about TOOL.
Decided I was going to sit down and give 10k days a real listen; due to an insane work schedule I really havent had the time to give it the attention that ive wanted to.
So, i lit some trees, grabbed my HF-1's and a beach chair and hit the roof for some good old NYC sun. First let me say this, I havent really been feeling the album-it seems at times a little too melancholy to me and a bit minimal and 2-dimensional. I loved a couple of tracks right off the bat (Vicarious, 10k days,Right IN Two), but I wasnt blown away, and I really wanted to be after having waited 5 ridiculously long years.
So, without getting too into specifics-while baking in the sun, the album floored me. Why? Maybe it just took a little time to "take", maybe I hadnt given it enough listens or maybe it was just my partially elated state of mind
icon10.gif

Regardless, the point is im really feeling it now. The monotony I heard initially is starting to transform itself into complex layers of music (to my ears). Im begininning to notice little touches, time sig. shifts, sound effects etc. that I realize now constitute this lush landscape of beautiful metal.

So assuming you love TOOL, what is it exactly that sets them so obviously apart from everyone else in the genre? Whether you like them or not, they are incredibly original sounding; you hear a brand new TOOL track for the first and you know immediately that it is undeniably and without a doubt, TOOL.
Why is that? To you musicians...assuming the listener knows their music, what is that they are doing instrumentally that keeps them so original and basicly genre-less?

BTW, IMO "Right In Two" is maybe the best song theyve ever written.

May 13, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 78
Perhaps you should give Tool another try, then
wink.gif

The thing I really like about tool: MJK's vocals and Danny's drumwork (well, vocals and rhythm section are my two favorite things, haha). Those are the big selling points for me. I consider MJK in my top 5 vocalists, and Danny may or may not sneak into the top 5 for drummers.

May 13, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 78
I found that when I sat and listened to the album again with vocals in hand it made a big difference. I think the Vocals on 10,000 Days (Wings part 2) are pure genius. I also noticed that if you sit, and really listen to the album, there are so many layers, and that the music is very elaborate. I give the new album a thumbs up.

May 13, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 78
My "favourite band" generally changes every couple of months, but Tool is the one band that I always find myself coming back to. They care very deeply about the music, and this is why it takes them a huge chunk of time to produce a full-length album. They're perfectionists, I think, and on top of that, they work and react extremely well together. The synergy between them is incredible.

(one small rant: it kind of irks me to hear people say "I've been waiting for this album for 5 years." I know I've said it as well, so I'm just as guilty, but I feel the need to get this off my chest: Lateralus was released in 2001. When I first heard it, my thoughts were: "This is some weird ****. I don't know if I can get into this." Naturally, the album grew on me, eventually becoming my favourite album. BUT this process took considerable time. I just don't think it's accurate to say that we've been waiting for this new album ever since Lateralus was released. I know, it's a really stupid detail I'm bringing up here, but I just had to say it. Now...back on topic...)

They put on a fantastic live show. The best I've ever seen. I can remember the very beginning of a show back in Hamilton on the Lateralus tour. The lights go out, and there is a strange groaning/humming noise. People are standing on their tip toes trying to get a better view of the stage, straining their eyes, but nothing definite can be seen. This continues for about 15 minutes. Finally we hear a twang of electric guitar. Just one note. 10 second pause. Then two notes. 10 second pause. Then three notes, and they finally kick things off with Sober. They know how to tease the crowd, and it works perfectly. Once they get going, they are simply mesmerizing. Maynard seems to hide in the shadows, offering only a silhouette. Danny is an absolute machine behind a huge drum set, and the manual dexterity of Adam and Justin on guitar is quite honestly mind-blowing. Then factor in things like a beautifully designed backdrop, two huge projection screens off to each side of the stage, props from the music video (the ball of grape-like things in Parabola, as well as the creepy people from the Schism video), and confetti that rains down from the ceiling during Disposition.
They put a hell of a lot of work into their shows, both musically, and presention-wise.

As for the new album, I love it. I love it, but I'm a bit worried. It almost feels too accessible. I'm scared I'm going to overplay it and get sick of it. I guess that's my problem though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's what I don't like about Tool:
Their fanbase is a little obsessive. I know this because I was once obsessed, trying to find the correct meaning to every song I could, every reference, etc. The news updates from BMB on the toolband webpage only seems to fuel this. Blair is constantly dropping stupid meaningless hints about all kinds of weird-cult-stuff and I'm sure many kids are still trying to figure out what it all means. My advice: forget about it. Just enjoy the music. Tool is said to be very spiritual. Find the spirituality in the music, not the "black magik" that surrounds it.

Case in point: When APC was doing an interview on Much on Demand for their album Thirteenth Step, a caller asked the following question. This isn't a word for word transcription, but it's close.
"Uh yeah, I've been a Tool fan for a really long time, you know, everything Maynard says, I follow. I was just wondering what sort of religion/spirituality you guys subscribe to".

I mean, come on. Everything Maynard says, I follow? That's a little bit much, I think. You can totally tell by the bands reaction, particularly Jeordie White, who looks very confused/agitated when the caller says this. Then Billy Howerdel follows up with: "uhhh... well, sometimes I agree with Maynard, and sometimes I don't. How about that?" Which, to me, seems like he is trying to get the caller to realize that Maynard isn't always right and that we shouldn't blindly follow everything he says/does. (That's my interpretation, anyway).

I'm sure I could come up with some more stuff to say, but this is getting pretty long as it is, so I'll shut up for now. It's dinner time anyway.

May 14, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 78
To be completely honest, they have always bored me. They have a few songs that are just 'ok'. I have tried many many times to like them, but it just never happens. They really aren't anything special to my ears, and there are so many other bands out there that are so much better.

Please keep in mind I am answering the post with my honest opinion, so for the Tool fans out there - please don't get your panties in a bunch.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 78
Actually, I've been thinking about picking up one of their CD's sometime soon. So many people seem to like them, and i have never really listened to any of their stuff. Any suggestions for a first tool CD to get?

May 14, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
The thing I really like about tool: MJK's vocals and Danny's drumwork

Pretty much said it for me. MJK's vocals are amazing. I love the drums as well, especially on "right in two" A more general answer would be that I find them to be a lot more complex and talanted than most other bands.

May 14, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 78
/\
Id get lateralus then aenima.

I love tools music, I think they are one of those bands that just works perfectly together. I dislike the ultra obsessive fans, and how tool spends too much time messing with them. I want to take them seriously, but they dont take themselves seriously.
Anyways, the new album is a dissapointment to me, I dont like any of the tracks, its just missing the atmosphere and song construction that lateralus and aenima had. Also danny's drum work is not there at all.
I also wish tool would stop with all the filler tracks they throw on there albums.
But that tool is an awsome band, and Im glad to see them getting airplay and selling albums, because they deserve it.

May 14, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
I've always found them fairly boring to be honest. That and rather "uncouth." Lyrics like "I want to screw you like an animal," do not exactly appeal to my love for aesthetics.

haha

well, on the new album there are lyrics like "i crap the bed" repeated in the chorus.

May 14, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
I know nothing about this band.

It involves a constant plucking of palm muted notes in odd time signatures with whisper/moan vocals over it, and it usually only gets good at the last 40 seconds of the song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back