In-ears vs Full-Size
Mar 3, 2008 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bluepowder

New Head-Fier
So whats the verdict? What are the pros? What are the cons?

I currently own triple-fis and although they are a huge improvement from the standard ipod earphones....its too direct into my ear..know what i mean? I still enjoy listening on speakers more.....I was wonderinf if full-size headphones are what I should be looking at?

cheers

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluepowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So whats the verdict? What are the pros? What are the cons?

I currently own triple-fis and although they are a huge improvement from the standard ipod earphones....its too direct into my ear..know what i mean? I still enjoy listening on speakers more.....I was wonderinf if full-size headphones are what I should be looking at?

cheers

my thing is comfort... i absolutely hate the in ear style it is very intrusive and hurts my ears after a little while.

i literally would not take the best in ear headphones for free.. i cannot listen to them at all due to the severe uncomfortable nature of it's style.

i guess one positive would be they are easy to transport around and not very attention grabbing to the public.

i am all about 100% full size!

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 16
There's a world of difference between in-ears and phones. Phones have soundstage, I noticed that songs that sound very centered on my in-ears sound spread out on my phones.

That is the number one advantage from phones for me.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 16
I own an Etymotic ER-4S (in-ear) and a Sennheiser HD 650 (circumaural).

In-ear 'phones provide a lot of isolation from outside noise. As a result, fine details are more readily noticeable at lower volumes.

Circumaural 'phones give me a better sense of space. I'm not speaking of instrument separation or placement. I mean that circumaural 'phones sound more like I'm listening to music in a hall rather than in an anechoic chamber. The ER-4S transmits the music directly to my eardrum, whereas the HD 650 plays music an inch or so away from the outside of my ear. That's probably what causes the difference. The in-ear presentation is probably truer to the recording; the circumaural echoes may be added. Still, they're certainly not unwelcome.

Happy listening!

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 16
IEM and cans are totally different. I bought my first expensive can (DT770 Pro/80) recently and I have to say I enjoy them a lot more than IEMs but its very hard to lug around. I'm personally looking to buy either a Yuin Pk1 or Pk2 for portability.

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 16
The soundstage can be greatly improved with a decent amp. On IEMs I understand the benefits of full sized headphones. I have a pair of Grados as well, however, when it comes to being portable and delivering every last detail I still think IEMs are what deliver. You just hear every last nuance of sound, due to their superior noise isolation and their nature of being extremely sensitive as well...plus since most of them are under 50ohms impedance they can run straight out of a headphone jack and sound fine. Granted the amp will help with the sound stage and reverb making them sound more natural, but even unamped the frequency response will still be very good.

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 16
this is great....

I was asking the question simply for the reasons you guys have stated....

IEMs are great for trains etc and for noice reduction
Cans I guess give the feeling of listening to a CD in a shop as you look for ur fav artists....

Now a coupla more questions:
(1) can the reality or the soundstage of my triple-fis coming from my ipod be improved?
(2) which cans also have some noise reduction(no active) and are suitable for trains

**goes to search about the yuin

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluepowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now a coupla more questions:
(1) can the reality or the soundstage of my triple-fis coming from my ipod be improved?
(2) which cans also have some noise reduction(no active) and are suitable for trains

**goes to search about the yuin

if it's isolation you're looking for, forget about the yuin's... they're earbuds like the kind that come stock with mp3 players, and although they sound great they can't block sound to save their tiny black lives.
icon10.gif

1. you could amp them from the ipod line out.
2. lots of cans are closed and isolate, hd25 and px200, to name two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back