In ears for personal listening
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

NHMN

New Head-Fier
Looking to buy some in ear type of headphones. I listen to a wide range of music from classical to modern electronica. Will be using for personal listening so isolation is a plus. Looking for smooth treble and detailed mids and lows. I dislike strident highs. Had a pair of older Shure's but the sound grated on me. Budget is around $500. What would you recommend? Thanks.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 10
I think Shure SE535 is smooth and would be good. Or if you want to go custom either Alclair reference monitors or cosmic ears

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 10
The RE272 are very smooth and detailed sounding IEMs without bright extended highs. Other IEMs like Sony XBA4, UM3x, Westone 4, SM3 and GR01 pretty good sounding for the price with smooth presentation.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 10
+1 Westone 4. If you didn't like Shure than I would try something else. I only tried the 425 but hated it. I've also read good things about the SM3 v2 and have thought about trying them but haven't had a chance.

I had a like/hate relationship with the UM3x and ultimately decided it wasn't for me. I don't like it or recommend it for classical though I know a lot of people do.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 10
+1 for westone 4 too! Definitely a class of its own. Very smooth and balanced sound. Wide soundstage and good instrument separation. If you're looking for balanced sound you should give westone 4 a try. Mids are lush and very good clarity as well.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 10
You know me the SM3 V2 is the best under $500 IEM I've heard, to me it sounds a little better than both the SE535 and W4 though both are still really good IEM's.  The SM3 is really good with electronic music as well as all other styles I've listened to like rock/alternative, pop and classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back