in-ear straight out of the iPod.
Jun 4, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #16 of 26
Are the Er-4p simply not able to sound rich and full straight out of an ipod?
and what is the comparison between these and the shure 3c?
'cause I think that after reading some reviews I'm leaning toward the shure3c.

Jun 4, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 26
... and can't tolerate lugging around an amp with my iPod, no matter how small. I have a pretty great, diminishing-returns-sensitive home audio system (an MF A5 amp with B&W 603 s3's, Clearaudio Emotion table, Denon 2900, Musical Hall CD.25.2, and X-Can 3 H-amp with Grado MSPro's)

It just seems absurd to me to carry around a protable amp. So I looked for the best IEM's straight out of my iPOd.

After living with Shure e2c's and e5c's (2's are mud and 5's are great), Shure e4c's (for me, disappoiningly thin), er6i's (also too thin), er4p's (good, but still light on bass for no amp) I settled on UE Super.Fi 5 pro's. These are perfect for no amp because the dual driver guarantess more detail in the lows. Just as good as the Shure e5's and can be had for 190 new on earphonesolutions and used here for less than 150.

My recommendation for that particular utility.
etysmile.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #18 of 26
alright, so the er-4p is a cleaner more refined exact sound, while the shure 3c is a more robust full sounding phone.
is this a correct despite pithy summation?
But will them both put out a nice sound from the iPod?
I still lean toward the Shure's, mostly because i suspect a richer sound.

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #19 of 26
There is an E4c. It is supposedly much better than the E3c.

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #20 of 26
I have a Shure E4 (same as E4C but in grey) and I am not that wild about it.

But lots of people love them. Monk, if you're interested in these there are approximately one million other threads with extensive discussion of the E4's merits.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #21 of 26
Consider the UM2. I prefer them to Ety (haven't heard the 6i though) straight out of an iPod. Comfort for me is better too.

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #22 of 26
could some one gives me a heads up on the e4c if they have followed this case at all.
I figured if i was going between the er-4 and the e4c I would like the warmer friendlier feel of the shures?
most people seem happy with the e4c's right?

Jun 5, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 26
yeah search for e4c on this forum and you'll see mostly positive note on them. i have the e3c and i found them to be really warm and heavy on the mids, which to me is ok since i listen to mostly mainstream stuff... but you should get an amp! you'll hear so much more details with an amp. with my e3c's straight out of my ipod, i feel like i'm standing outside the concert hall in the restroom taking a piss. with the amp, i'm right back in where the action's at and the concert is definitely more lively.

Jun 5, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #25 of 26
yet the e4c's are sufficently powered by the iPod?
I'm not in the buisness of getting an amp, so I want to just know that the iPod will sing with the e4c's.
Now I trade between my a pair of eggos and the V6's.
And I am assuming that e4c will have better isolation than either of my current cans.?

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #26 of 26
I also have a 4th gen iPod and the iM716s are great, especially for jazz, opera arias, rock, pop, hip-hop, etc. They only seem to get a tad congested on large-scale orchestra, but nearly all speakers do.

Not as much head-room as the ER6i, but plenty loud for me directly out of this rig.

They are only $70. Why spend more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back