In ear recommendation
Dec 19, 2005 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sonorlite

New Head-Fier
I will be starting a new job Jan. 1 in which I will be commuting (driving 3 hours) from home once a week, staying in the new location 3 nights and then driving home. I just bought an Ipod 20gb and an Klipsch IFI system to use in my away location. I will probably just use MP3 encoding for the Ipod unless someone convinces me that full-size AIFF will be hearable given this system (see below).

I want to get a set of in-ear phones to use during the drive (it's safe, it's all just one long freeway between the two points) along with the Ipod and also for some airplane travel. I will just have the Ipod and phones, no amplifier.

I have read reviews of the Etymotic, Westone, UE and Shure setups but I don't want to pay for more phone than I will need given my highly mobile and Ipod specific uses.

Thanks

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 15
Welcome!
Suggestion?
UE-10 Pro. Grab a pair for $1K. Might as well go for the full Monty
biggrin.gif

On a more SERIOUS note, what do you listen to? What are you looking for in your IEM? Let's here some descriptive words like detailed, crisp highs, strong bass, etc... This will aid in your search.

As a matter of fact, I wasn't that insane about the UE-10Pro. Although they are expensive, I can see many people eventually buying them because of this contagious Head-fi "upgraditis" bug. Good thing about them is that they sound perfect without an amp.

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 15
To be honest, I never use headphones. I have a dedicated soundroom, all tube electronics, just vinyl and Soundlab speakers. I guess in terms of this application I favor smooth, accurate sound, non-fatiguing. Mostly listen to blues, rock and classical.

I am certainly willing to pay for better sound but will $500 phones offer measurable improvements over $125 phones for my use?

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 15
I would recommend the UM2, E4c, Super.fi 5Pro, ER-4P for your purposes. As there are literally heaps of reviews on all four, I won't elaborate too much. A quick search will definitely point you in the right direction.

Now my attempted answer to your question:
I think that generally $500 pair of headphones will outperform another that costs $125. At $500, the Shure E5c is well within reach. Compared to the $109 UM1, the difference is definitely noticeable (eg more detail and analytical power throughout the whole frequency range yet retaining a smooth ,rich, non-fatiguing sound). However, I must stress that it is important to know what you want. If you are a basshead, have the $200 Super.fi 5EB, and then buy the $500 E5c. I'm afraid you will be disappointed. The E5c will be better in almost every way, except for the amount of bass output. So my answer to your question is YES and NO.

Dec 19, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 15
I agree with the above. Ultimate Ears' Super.Fi 5 Pros are the in-ear monitors to go with. They have crisp highs and deep lows, with everything in between. You'll hear things (even on your iPod using MP3 format) in your music you never have before. I love mine, but they are so sound-isolating, I wouldn't use them in the car...just everywhere else. You'll lose yourself in the music and end up hitting a guard rail. Drive safe, e-mail me if you've got questions.

Dec 20, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 15
It seems your source is a 4th gen 20G iPod. Then I would like to warn you to stay away from Shure e4c. Not because it is no good, but it is highly regarded to be a bad synergy with 4th Gen iPod. Without an amp, Shure e4c lacks bass energy with 4th gen iPod. However, if your source is a 5th gen video iPod, then shure E4c sounds awesome.

The UE super.fi 5 pro has awesome synergy with 4th Gen iPod. I pretty sure you will not be dissappointed by it.

As for Shure e5c and Westone UM2, it is always a debate to pick one over the other. They are using the same drivers, but the sound signature are quite different. The most obvious sound difference is that Shure e5c has very prominent mid range while UM2 is a lot flatter.

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 15
He doesn't want to lug around an amp, so the E5c is out of question. I only used it as an example.

I second all that has been said.

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 15
IMHO, do not drive with headphones, earspeakers or IEM's. I do not care how safe you think it is.

Dec 20, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 15
Seconded!! Although I don't drive, I think it is very unsafe. Honestly, you won't be able to here NOTHING with music playing through those IEMs!!! Last thing you want is an accident.

Dec 20, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 15
These are my random musing based on my own research into threads about IEMs and personal experience with some:

- IF basshead THEN Super.Fi 5EB
- IF extreme comfort THEN Sensaphonic 2X-S
- IF avoid cord noises THEN NOT Etymotic ER4-P/S
- IF longer warranty THEN Shure (2years)
- IF natural sound THEN UE 10Pro OR Westone ES2 OR Sensas 2X-S AND NOT Etymotic ER4P/S

YMMV.

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
- IF avoid easily breaking down IEMs THEN NOT Sensaphonics
- IF longer warranty THEN Ultimate Ears OR Etys AND NOT Sensas

- Sensaphonics "break down" no longer (and currently there are newer versions available); construction is enhanced.

- Sensaphonics have the same warranty policy as Ultimate Ears: 1 year (don't know about Etymotics).

Dec 20, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 15
Etymotic Warranty

ER-6i:
Standard 90 day warranty; extend to 1 year with online registration. (free)

ER-6:
Standard 90 day warranty; extend to 1 year with online registration. (free)

ER-4P/S/B:
Standard 1 year warranty; extend to 2 years with online registration. (free)

Dec 20, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 15
Dude! That's pretty sick. Then again, I'd rather drive past a good, but deaf driver than a lousy driver.

I knew a musician that ripped the stereo out of his car. He got so wrapped up in the music it distracted him and affected his driving. Good IEMs and driving is a dangerous combination.

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by root
- Sensaphonics "break down" no longer (and currently there are newer versions available); construction is enhanced.

- Sensaphonics have the same warranty policy as Ultimate Ears: 1 year (don't know about Etymotics).

Thanks for the correction. This information is lacking on the Sensaphonic site.

Dec 20, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 15
I even missed few bus stops even when I am with my Westone UM2 (could miss more if I am with UE10 Pro), and generally when I am driving, I do not listen to anything because I easily get involved with the music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
- IF longer warranty THEN Ultimate Ears OR Etys AND NOT Sensas

I think the longest is Shure. It is 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back