in-ear phones with mic recommendations to use with fiio e17?
Jan 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nrgcreator

New Head-Fier
Hello, this is my first post and just wanted to thank everyone in advance for taking time to read and reply to my questions. I have spent several hours on this site searching ad left even more undecided than before coming here.

my needs: a quality pair of in-ear phones with a mic for a android phone (casio commando). I listen to mostly rock from my phone. However, im also looking for something  can use in my Roland Td-8 drum brain (electric drum kit), so when listening to music, im looking for quality that will allow me to easily learn the drums from a song by hearing the dynamics of the kit. Need good bass, mids, and highs without other instruments creating conflict. Also need the same for when i play my drums.

At first i was sold in the Nuforce NE-700M - until i came to this site. everything else i have found with great reviews here does not include a mic or are iphone specific. also like the thinksound ms01, but no mic!

I love the look of wood, need durability, and would like to spend less than $100.

in addition, im considering getting a fiio E17 to add to the mix. My current headphones are a pair of beats by dre, and i hate them! unsure if it is my phone or the cans, but when i get past 70% volume, all goes to hell. i was thinking a headphone amp would resolve this? also, with my drum brain, the headphone volume is not nearly as loud as i would like it to be. can anyone also comment on if this would resolve this issue(s) as well? maybe someone knows of a sweet pair of cans that would work great with this amp. 

thanks again for taking the time to reply and help my confusion of so many options.

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Although an amp is a step up. I would spend your budget on as good a pair of headphones as you can. I wouldn't get hung up on wood finish. Sound is more important. You could look at the Musical Fidelity EB-50's very neutral. Play loud and have an inline mic. See my impressions thread for, well. My impressions! Happy New Year.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi Kris and thanks for the info!

can you provide a link to your review on the EB-50 please. had trouble locating it.

Wood finish is not really important, but would go for them if something fit the bill that had wood (simply for looks).

I did do a little online research on your suggestion and they do seem superior. I dont know how willing i am to spend that much on some ear phones. Although im sure they are worth the $, I currently have a pair of Bose on the ear i use to drum and a pair of beats for my phone. Both just okay.

My main focus for the amp is to increase out put level on my drums (not even sure how much volume increase i will get out of a headphone amp?), if it would improve my phone music as well, even better and is why i thought of a portable unit.

My main hesitation on spending that much money ($250 it looks like) is im afraid i will loose or break them. if what im looking for cant be done in the $100 range (headphones), then i will certainly reconsider my budget and give this some more thought.

If you have any other recommendations on a lower cost set of in-ear phones with mic or insight on the amp situation i would love to hear back from you.

Happy new year to you as well!

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi Mr. NRG. Here's the link. http://www.head-fi.org/t/643881/musical-fidelity-eb-50-appreciation-thread#post_9009431
Sorry I hadn't factored the conversion to dollars properly. I also don't know anything about using headphones for drumming so my recommendation may be off in that regard. I have very little experience of different IEM'S. Just a bit of a random thought. Would Sennheiser PX 100's fit the bill. On ears rather than IEM's but great vfm and sound... I also take your point that an amp would have a variety of uses and be a nice bit of kit to have.

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Doh! Forgot the mic requirement. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along. Otherwise use the search function on here there are sure to be a lot of threads asking for recommendations.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 8
yeah, thats my issue! Cant find a solid pair with a mic in my price range. I have a hard time talking on my phone without headphones so it is a must for me!

thank you for your info and time. It is appreciated!

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 8
In this link is a chart, the IEM's highlighted under section "i" support mic and controls.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-267-iems-compared-fitear-to-go-334-added-12-16-12#post_6492059

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 8
BTW. One reason I mentioned the PX100, now in its PX100-ii incarnation, is that if you move around a lot when playing drums you may have a problem maintaining a seal with a universal IEM. Another solution, if this is a problem, may be to use the Comply tips as used properly they give a very secure seal. Or maybe you are more of a cool Jazz drummer. :)
That link above looks like what you need for IEM's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back