In-ear phones, not canal. Recommendations
Jun 12, 2004 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Langrath

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to buy in-ear phones for listening resting on side on pillow. Not canalphone, I get hurt of them. I am prepared to spend about $100.
Any recommendations?

Georg

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
I would like to buy in-ear phones for listening resting on side on pillow. Not canalphone, I get hurt of them. I am prepared to spend about $100.
Any recommendations?

Georg

Maybe Senns MX 500 with "fingernail" mod ?

Cheers
etysmile.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorpio(DDMF)
Maybe Senns MX 500 with "fingernail" mod ?

Cheers
etysmile.gif

1. What is "fingernail" mod? Is it that wind-up pocket carrying case? Is it always attached? Seems a little clumsy to me.
2. They are very cheep. Can you get acceptable sound for that price?

Georg

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Fingernail mod: No idea!

Carrying case: It's not attached to the cord - it's just for travel. (And I've found it very convenient - much more so than many others of the same style.)

Sound quality: Yes, they are cheap, and yes, they sound great. The best sound for the buck as far as I'm concerned. I own the Etymotic ER-4Ps and surprisingly enough I still quite enjoy the Senns, my only cheap 'phones which weren't rendered useless by the Etys.

Jun 12, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Any recommendations?

Georg

Something like this will not go in your ear, but it will provide enough support to improve the sound quality and avoid movement:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=218865

I hope that sound quality is not one of your priorities. These sound decent and certainly good for the price.

Jun 13, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo
Fingernail mod: No idea!

Carrying case: It's not attached to the cord - it's just for travel. (And I've found it very convenient - much more so than many others of the same style.)

Sound quality: Yes, they are cheap, and yes, they sound great. The best sound for the buck as far as I'm concerned. I own the Etymotic ER-4Ps and surprisingly enough I still quite enjoy the Senns, my only cheap 'phones which weren't rendered useless by the Etys.

Thank you.I have ordered them. No big affair.
biggrin.gif
If they are only decent it is very good for the money. What I hope for is that they don't have that monstrous sharp treble that those in-ear use to have. And a decent bass.

Still don't understand the expression "fingernail mod".
confused.gif
If it means "no idea" it doesn’t fit into the first answer to this message. No important thing. I am only a little curious.

Georg

Jun 13, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 8
mx500 doesn't give me good bass without form earpad, but it veils highs a bit. so i opened up a small(5 to 7mm) oblong hole on the earpad(not in the center, but where the sound holes are) and i'm satisfied with the result.

Jun 13, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

1. What is "fingernail" mod? Is it that wind-up pocket carrying case? Is it always attached? Seems a little clumsy to me.
2. They are very cheep. Can you get acceptable sound for that price?

Georg

1.http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=mx+mod ( i did that mod to my mx-300 and got same results ...) - note: Best results (for me) were moded mx without earpads...

2. IMO : VERY ACCEPTABLE sound
etysmile.gif

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back