In-ear or over ear, and my current choices, please reply in kind :)
Nov 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ucrime

Head-Fier
Hi, I am currently in the hunt for new headphones.  My uses are my iPad (for music video, games, and some music) and the iPhone. I currently use my Etymotic 6i (the white ones with the real thin cord).  I have the Klipsch S4 and the Bose QC3.  I prefer the Etymotic over the Shure, and ever since I changed the earpads on the Bose they just do not seem loud enough.  Now, I also have some hearing issues as I had an injury in the military so my hearing is a little lower than normal; for that reason, I like the headphones on the loud side.  My uses are mainly on the bus, but I do walk with the headphones sometimes.  I don't seem to be able to jam the earbuds too deep into my ears (seems a little blocked, I don't know how far others can go).

So, at the moment, I have...
Etymotic 6i (very old ones)
Bose QC3 (3 years old)
Klipsch S4 (just don't seem to like them.

At home, my speakers are all Bose (acosticmass for the TV/Stereo, and Musicmonitor for the computer).

I also use Comply earbuds, but at the moment on the Etymotic I use the 3 level tips.  The Comply seen to wear out fast as I use them for about 3 hours+ per day, every day.

So, that is the background.

My question is about my upgrade is coming :)

I can get the Etymotic HF3 in black at Bestbuy in NYC for $119, and at Techserv in NYC the Klipsch One for $129.

I went to Techserv and tried on all the Sennheiser's they had in stock (all in the 200$ range), and none of them were really loud enough, the Klipsch were the loudest over the ear headphones.

Would the HF3 be an upgrade over the 6i, and if so, how much so?  Bestbuy would not let me open the case to see the earphones, so I couldn't try them on (I didn't really push my request as it didn't seem to interest the sales person to help me), so I also want to know if the cable is better on the HF3.

The Klipsch seem a little plastic and light, so i am afraid of damage (the headphones would be tossed in my bag when not in use).

Now, outside the box, I wrote to Ultrasone and told them what I was interested in, and they suggested the HI780 which i can get for about 150$ on Amazon, and I have also been thinking of the Polk Audio Ultrafit 3000 just because I think they will be very loud.

I'm no Audiophile, but i do like a nice sound, my music ranges pretty heavy, examples would be Motorhead (Ace of Spades), Distrubed (Indestructable), Evenescence (typo probably) (any of their heavier music, Bring me to Life), Sabaton, Pink Floyd (for my mellow times) and Hammerfall.  I do like some Joss Stone and some heavy classical and violins also.  My last concert I saw was the Phil Woods Quartet (front row at Birdland last month).

So, to close, and I hope you all can help (And I know starting a new thread is probably frowned upon, but I thought I had a lot to say)...

Are the HF3 an upgrade over the 6i?  Why?
What do people think of Klipsch One, Etymotic HF3, Ultrasone HFI780 and the Polk Audio Ultrafit 3000?

My needs are
Loudness.
Noise Canceling
Comfort
And I would like them to be a little cool in a high end way (and i cannot wear Beats, too street for me, I'm going on 50 yrs old).

Also, does anyone have any other suggestions knowing the above.  With the HF3 I would probably get the earmolds (anyone have experience with that?).

Thanks for your time, and I really am interested in what others have to say.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 5
the Comply fit is so much better than what came with the earphones

The Comply are rounded at the tip, the earphones came with foam also but they are not, and the quality is of the Comply is noticeable.

I read people complaining about the bass on the HF3, but with a good fit, the bass sounds good to me; if the seal isn't there, then the bass suffered for me.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back