In Ear Microphones (IEM)
Jun 8, 2007 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

xinoxide

500+ Head-Fier
im gunan get these. with a preamp, and the case etc. i think im going to do field sampling for a while, and get together with some people at the studio, maybe work on writing a drum and bass track with samples recorded binaurally.

would anyone be interested in a project as such?

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 9
Wait a minute. IEM = In Ear Monitor?

What good would sticking a microphone in your ear do?

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 9
From what I gather it's simply binaural microphones, i.e. *you* are the microphone wearer (mics are outwards) and no extra dummy head! Quite spiffy.
etysmile.gif

Do these sound ok, btw (for its price that is)? Would like to use it for background atmosphere for a song and perhaps even instrument recording.

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by blipmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I gather it's simply binaural microphones, i.e. *you* are the microphone wearer (mics are outwards) and no extra dummy head! Quite spiffy.
etysmile.gif

Do these sound ok, btw (for its price that is)? Would like to use it for background atmosphere for a song and perhaps even instrument recording.

They are not headphones/earphones. You plug them into a recorder and they input the sounds of your surroundings.

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 9
besides having the advantage of portability (and perhaps being more discreet) wouldn't a proper omni-directional mic be better for the purpose of recording the surroundings?

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeluiz22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are not headphones/earphones. You plug them into a recorder and they input the sounds of your surroundings.

Er...Which is exactly what I said? When I asked about how they sound I meant if they're good enough to record instruments with, sorry for the confusion. Hope they are! Could be interesting for a bedroom/hobby musician such as myself.
icon10.gif

Eagerly awaiting any impressions on these!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 9
ABSOLUTELY!!!

I would love to combine that with something like a MLSSA system (but cheaper) to measure transient response of headphones.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 9
its about the reflections of the pinnae shape, that in combination with natural delay timings would make for a very accurate binaural recording.

ill be using an omni-directional in conjunction with the binaural mic set. for the quality, but the binaurals will be for the binaural effect.

Dynamix Records in miami has a loadout of royer mics. ill be able to borrow one for use with the binaurals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back