In-ear headphones vs bud headphones (with Slic Sound enhancement)
Jan 19, 2006 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Scot1970

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I want to buy a really great (but budget) set of on-the-move headphones for my brother. I don't know whether to invest in a set of in-ear headphones, eg Sony MDR-EX71SLB, or a good pair of buds with the new Slic Sound enhancement, which are rubber seals that fit into the ear and, effectively changes the buds into in-ear headphones.

A friend told me the bud/Slic Sound combo is best because this means you get the advantage of the in-ear noise cancelling/frequency improvement effects whilst at the same time enjoying a richer bass with the larger driver size of the bud.

He has a combo of Sennheiser MX550s with Slic Sound and they do sound pretty mighty.

What do u think? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS I've just bought a pair of Grado SR60s for myself and they are pretty bloody brilliant!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers the noo.

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 5
I have yet to hear a non-in ear bud that has as powerfull bass as the EX-71. And for that reason alone, I don't recommend the EX-71. It has too much and too muddy bass, and the highs are too sharp. In that price range, I'd recommend the Creative EP-630, which should be a bit cheaper than the EX-71. They offer a better overall sound.

Now, I haven't heard the MX-550 so I can't comment on that. While the driver is larger in a non-in ear bud, that doesn't mean richer bass. I have had a pair of Philips earbuds that had the "Slic Sound" (no idea it was called that way), but they didn't come close to the amount of bass of the EX-71. If your brother is a bass head, he will like the EX-71. But be aware, they are very badly made, and the cords die on them after a couple months of use, even if you're carefull with them.

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the info. I'll stay clear of the 71s. He is a bass head, likes his dance music, but he's also a discerning listener who likes to take his music wherever he goes. So that means no to the fall-apart-in-a-minute Sonys.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back